Switching dominance?

• Thread starter Thread starter proplus
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

proplus

I have 2 boars, both are around 3 months old. At first Baileys (the shy one) was more dominant, swinging hips about, grumbling and nicking food from the other piggy. Lately, Beckham (the other one thats very chatty and inquisitive) has put on a lot of weight and has grown quite a bit and it seems he's doing all the swinging hips and grumbling now.

Is it possible for the dominance factor to switch between piggies? Or is it still too early to tell and they're just getting into the mood of things?

I think at 3 months they are full of hormones which can last a while, so it's quite possible they are shaking up the current arrangements! I would just keep an eye out to make sure there is no bullying (stopping getting to food/water etc) going on and there is two of everything like food bowls, water bottles, stick houses etc and as much space as you can manage. I think the heirarchy CAN change, but I'm sure someone more experienced will be along to help soon!

I do think it can change and then change back again! Sunshine started off dominant and Twinkle accepted that but then Twinkle got bigger and more confident and he was rumbling at Sunshine and ocassionally teeth chattering. Sunshine gave in but then last Tuesday he done it back and Twinkle gave in and since then Twinkle has been really friendly with us all and nice to Sunshine! So harmony has been restored and I hope it stays like that!

Louise
x

Yeah dominance can change around quite a lot especially when they are in the same age group as yours are. It seems some Boss Pigs get fed up and allow another to take over! I find them fascinating little critters! :smitten:

happens with bob and munchie a lot ;D munchie thinks cos hes fatter he can take over now and again, but big bob puts him in his place sooner or later ;D

yes it is normal, and does happen :)

Might be worth checking their sexes, just to be safe!

Make sure you have two of everything in the cage, pigloos, food bowls, water bottles etc to try and quash the chances of them falling out :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back