• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Swelling and fluid from boar's teat

Status
Not open for further replies.

scooterpig

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone, newbie here.

Hope you can help. When I lifted one of my boys out of the cage tonight I noticed a swelling under his left teat. When, squeezed gently, a little bead of red fluid forms, right at the end of the teat. It's not thick like blood, but is thin and clear, like a blood-stained fluid if you see what I mean.

I have bathed it with plain warm water but nothing else as I'm not sure what to do for the best. He's as bright and chirpy as always - I give them celery immediately after bathing it and he got stuck right in.

Could it just be a tiny wound that's got infected? There's no immediately obvious injuries but the swelling is noticeable and must have flared up pretty pretty quickly.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Hi there, I am sure that someone who can help you will be along soon, btw welcome to the forum
sammy x

Hi,

It sounds like a serious infection and I would get him to the vet as soon as possible. Hope this is helpful (guinea pigs are not very good at fighting bacteria).

Hiya welcome to the forum :)

You sound worried about your piggie if he is aleart and eating try not to worry to much. But do take him to visit your vet for a good check up :)

Hi everyone,

Took the wee guy to the vet today, she's a bit mystified but is currently trating on the basis of an infection. He's now on antibiotics and I've to keep bathing the area and squeezing out any fluid, and he's to go back on Thursday.

He's as chirpy as anything, and it doesn't seem to be painful. He still has his appetite!

I would have a scan/x ray done,this may be a tumour in the mammory gland.Hope it is just an infection though.Paws crossed.

Thought I'd drop an update - Harry Haggis went back to the vet and had an op to remove the lump today. The op seems to have gone well, but the vet has sent the lump off to the pathologist to find out what it is. It seemed to be a fairly solid and well-defined mass.

I've got him home and althoguh he's subdued, he's starting to take an interest in things, including food, so fingers crossed. He's to go back for a check up on Monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back