• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Sweep's ill - very similar to two recent fatal cases

• Thread starter Thread starter PigPog
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PigPog

I'm in a bit of a panic because I've seen this sort of thing before and in both cases it didn't end well. :'(

Sweep is two years old. I've just weighed him and he's 1lb 8oz - a bit underweight. He's got gunky eyes and a runny nose. His fur is sticking up all over his body (he's usually a flat coated short hair) and he's hunched up.

The other two cases I've had were both heart problems - Mr Darcy died of an enlarged heart and Sprout died when his lungs became flooded when the wall of his left ventricle became too thin. Both happened this year and both were similar to eachother and now similar to Sweep.

My shed heater packed up a few days ago and the shed has been down to 11-13 degrees in average. I usually keep it at a steady 18 degrees. We bought a new heater which is not heating the shed properly, but we also just got the original heater working again this evening. I'm wondering if the cold has made Sweep ill - but he looks so frightningly similar to the other two and they both died at the veterinary hospital.

So I don't know what to do. He's currently sitting on my desk and I'll have Sweep and his brother Sooty (for company) in the house tonight.

Any suggestions?

EDIT - Two things, I've just weighed his brother Sooty and he's 2lb 10oz. It doesn't necessarily mean anything but that's 1lb and 12oz heavier than Sweep. Also, Sweep is making intermittant crackling noises when he breathes - which I can hear by putting my ear to his nose and mouth - so it's not loud, but it's there.

Start with fluids and syringe some mushed pellets.
If you've got pain relief i'd give him some and in the morning i'd get straight on to the vets, he needs to be looked at love.
I know some of the girls on here use Septrin for snuffly noses etc.. also bathe his little eye in pre boiled water cooled down and wipe the area gently.
Try offering lots of his fav things as well.
We'll have our paws crossed for little Sweep :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

It does sound like he has an upper respitory infection of some sort, he needs a vet as soon as possible and will need antibiotics (septrin) as well as syringe feeding if he isn`t eating enough by himself.
Lets us know how he goes, it may not necessarily be the end for him if he gets the right treatment :)

I'd get him to a vet and keep syringe feeding him. This sounds so famiiliar with what I've just gone through with Cuzzy and I expect it was his heart that had a problem as we just couldn't get him right.

If caught early enough Sweep should be ok, keep us posted and if you are really concerned tonight I'd try to get to a vet, perhaps the PDSA can help?

Good luck!

Louise
x

Thanks everyone, I'm impressed with the speed of replies at this time of night. ;)

Sweep was wobbling when poked and stroked so that was the last straw for me. Simon (my man) drove me to the emergency vet. I explained everything I could think of about the last two cases to her. She says his heart sounds fine but his lungs are crackly. He's in the oxygen cage right now, and they're giving him a diuretic to try and clear his lungs a bit. If he's picked up in the morning he's having an x-ray. I did mention that had Sprout had an x-ray he would have drowned once rolled onto his side because his lungs were so full of fluid, so she's bearing that in mind.

I'll be reading up on your suggestions so I'm prepared for any future cases... what do you guys think of - I think it's called a rescue remedy? I think Supreme or Burgess or somewhere like that sells one.

Critical care can be given and vets do sometimes stock it they also might have science recovery both are the same sort of thing :) It is easier to mix than mushing pellets up to feed them. Hope your piggy gets well soon thinking of you

Hope he gets well soon, one of mine has had a URI for the last month and its oly just clearing now, ive been giving him a bit of physio therapy by patting his side gently, it helps to clear some of the fluid on his lungs because it builds up then he coughs and he's clear. This really seems to have helped him in the last few days :) got my fingers crossed for your little fella x

PigPog said:
Glynis said:
Start with fluids and syringe some mushed pellets.

Is that pellets as in his usual Supa Guinea Excel pellets?

I thought that if you didn't have any science recovery or critical care, that mushing up pellets is the next best thing O0 So if you're ever in doubt it's real easy grab a small amount say soup spoonful of pellets and pop in a bowl mix with pre boiled water till mushy, you add a bit of water at a time... till it's a consistinency that you can either syringe or spoon feed. If you're using the oxbow brand (this is the only one i know about.. sorry) it's got everything in it so will at least be beneficial to the piggie, e.g. nutrients etc... The other thing as i mentioned is to make sure the piggie is having lots of fluids as well to hydrate them :)
Wishing you all the best, i've replied to your other thread, please don't feel alone we're all on here to help you whatever way we can. Everyone learns from an experience and we just hope to help someone, just like you :)
For little Sweep :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Sweep survived the night. The nurses fed him Critical Care throughout the night and he's perked up a bit. He's still wobbly and he looks frail but at least he's got this far and I can treat him at home. I've got Baytril because we're treating it as a respiratory infection at the moment and I've got some Critical Care to feed him. He's got to have several little meals of it each day. Sweep's going back to see the vet we saw last night on Saturday morning. I've got some piggy towels on to wash at the moment, and when they've washed and tumbled I'm going to kick the two three-month-old brothers that are currently occupying my emergency cage out into their new hutch in the shed, and then I'm going to clean and set up the emergency cage for Sweep in the kitchen. This is my first time using Critical Care so wish me luck and let's hope he recovers. I think he would have died last night if we hadn't taken him in.

Good luck treating Sweep. I used CC with Cuzzy and after a few false starts we both got the hang of it. I found wrapping him in a blanket ideal and I was able to feed him with a syringe that way.

I'd syringe fluids as well incase he isn't drinking! :)

Good luck :) i find the majority of the time its not the CC they hate its the syringe so try not shoving it in his mouth to start and see if he'll lick the syringe, it would be lot less stressful that way :) also, try the patting thing i suggested above :) its been great with Ralfie, be gentle though poor little sweep sounds a bit fragile xxxxx

Septrin at the dose rate of 0.4 mls per day is a better choice than Baytril.,which i9s too wide spectrum for URTI. Paedriactric Sudafed at 0.3 mls per day will help clear congestion from the lungs.Keep him warm and give plenty of fluids.A vitimin C supplement will help as well.Give this by syringe,not in the drinking water.
Paws crossed for a good recovery.

PigPog said:
I'm going to kick the two three-month-old brothers that are currently occupying my emergency cage out into their new hutch in the shed,

:o The weather forcast is its going to get really cold again - are they used to being outside?

piglover said:
PigPog said:
I'm going to kick the two three-month-old brothers that are currently occupying my emergency cage out into their new hutch in the shed,

:o The weather forcast is its going to get really cold again - are they used to being outside?

I have my shed heated at a steady 18 degrees on a normal day in winter, so they'll be okay! ;) It's got a thermostat on it so I can set it to a higher temperature if needed. I can spend time in there in my pyjamas, put it that way! :D The shed is a actually spa chalet so it's big, connected to the electricity and has plasterboard on the inside and at the moment the windows are closed to keep the chill out. There are around 25 guineas living in the shed at the moment. They also have plenty of hay when it's cold outside and I sometimes give them extra towels to sleep under. The shed is also sheltered under a huge tree not far from the main house and it's on the edge of our woodland so it's well covered from the elements.

Okay, I took Sweep back to stay at the hospital for a couple of days because he's being a toad and now he's home with mummy, he's mucking about and won't take his Critical Care! ;D The vet and I decided it would be an idea for them to have him for a day or two to make sure he has his Critical Care via the nurses who have done it before and can make sure he gets it quickly and without much stress. I gave them his Baytril too and a towel that smells of the shed and some veg just in case he fancies it. He had a nibble on some lettuce and a few small mouthfuls of carrot when he came home, so that's good. I'll call in the morning to see how he is.

Little monkey, they do struggle at first with taking CC but a little perserverence and once you feel confident in giving it he'll eventually accept it from you... get the girls at the vets to show you their little tricks on giving it to him O0
Wishing you all the very best :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

I'm sad to report that Sweep passed away at around 7:30am today. The vet called early, and told us that Sweep was just so weak he just fell asleep. At least he's not suffering anymore, and we gave him the best chance he could have had. I bought a big ceramic pot and an evergreen plant and I'm just waiting for my other half to get home so we can go outside and bury Sweep. :'(

As for Sweep's brother Sooty, I also have another boar (Sputnik) who has recently lost his brother so I'm going to see if Sooty will live with Sputnik which would be better for both of them.

Thank you to all of you for your advice. You've been so helpful that I'm going to add to my medical kit, and my mother-in-law and I are going to weigh all the guineas and give them each a health check every Sunday. I've drawn up my weight charts ready to start.

oh no i've only just caught up with this thread i'm so sorry u did all u could :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Aww hunny I'm so sorry to hear that. RIP Little Sweep. :smitten:

x

Thank you all for the well wishes, they're appreciated and very touching. Sweep has now been buried and his pot is standing on the decking behind the shed where we've got our pet memorial garden. 0:)

I am really sorry you lost Sweep, you tried really hard......god bless little man 0:) :smitten: :smitten:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back