• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Suspicious skin disease

Rowena

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi dears,

I trimmed one of my long hair guinea pigs hair today and found some suspicious skin diseases around his hip area. Description: some yellow discharges just above the genital area skin and skin are red, hair on that area fall out easily. He eat well and sleep well as normal, so I’m wondering if that’s something like dermatitis or eczema, etc. ?

Hi dears,

I trimmed one of my long hair guinea pigs hair today and found some suspicious skin diseases around his hip area. Description: some yellow discharges just above the genital area skin and skin are red, hair on that area fall out easily. He eat well and sleep well as normal, so I’m wondering if that’s something like dermatitis or eczema, etc. ?

Hi and welcome

Please book a vet appointment. We cannot diagnose just based on your description.

What bedding is your piggy on and how often do you clean?

Good luck at the vets. It’s great you’ve noticed it so it can be sorted easily and quickly.

Hi and welcome

Please book a vet appointment. We cannot diagnose just based on your description.

What bedding is your piggy on and how often do you clean?

Hi Wiebke,

Thanks for your instant response! I attached a picture show you my pig after shaving. I used a quick -dry bedding (originally used for bath towel) and for their sleeping area I used some micro-fibre blanket which absorb moisture very quickly, I changed them every 4 days. ( my other pigs don’t have skin problems as him).

Attachments

• FADFC75F-599E-40BC-8629-7506C85FABC9.webp
    FADFC75F-599E-40BC-8629-7506C85FABC9.webp
    61.1 KB · Views: 11
That looks to be your piggy’s back end showing a sore grease gland.
Please do have your piggy seen by a vet

Back