Suspected bladder stones

mls18

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi, my guinea pig has possible bladder stones, I can't get to the vet for a couple of weeks to do a screening for it, what should I do in the meantime? Also, I started feeding him pellets a couple of months ago which was around when the bleeding started, could the excess pellets have caused it so quickly? I used to not feed them pellets at all, I also feed them romain lettuce everyday as their main vegetable source, is this considered high calcium?

If you think he has stones then he needs to be diagnosed and the situation considered - surgery, pain meds etc.
If a stone moves and blocks the urethra then it becomes and emergency situation. Boars have an awkward angle in their urethra which is a problem is they try to pass a stone.

Stones form either due to a genetic predisposition or due to a calcium balance being wrong in the diet.
Most calcium comes into the diet via pellets and drinking water.
This is why pellets should always be limited to one tablespoon per pig per day. Pellets aren’t actually needed in the diet as all.
Stones can form quite quickly.

Lettuce is not high calcium. It is high water content which is a good thing as it keeps the bladder flushing through. Lettuce is a safe daily veg and it is not something which will lead to a stone.
Kale is the highest calcium veg, along with spinach and parsley.

If you think he has stones then he needs to be diagnosed and the situation considered - surgery, pain meds etc.
If a stone moves and blocks the urethra then it becomes and emergency situation. Boars have an awkward angle in their urethra which is a problem is they try to pass a stone.

Stones form either due to a genetic predisposition or due to a calcium balance being wrong in the diet.
Most calcium comes into the diet via pellets and drinking water.
This is why pellets should always be limited to one tablespoon per pig per day. Pellets aren’t actually needed in the diet as all.
Stones can form quite quickly.

Lettuce is not high calcium. It is high water content which is a good thing as it keeps the bladder flushing through. Lettuce is a safe daily veg and it is not something which will lead to a stone.
Kale is the highest calcium veg, along with spinach and parsley.
Ok, thank you so much!

Could a friend or family member take your piggy to the vets for you? The sooner they get diagnosed, the sooner surgery or other treatment can take place.
I've had two guinea pigs with bladder stones, and they are extremely time critical unfortunately.

Back