Supporting second level in C&C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jane

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hey :)

Anyone who's got a two (or more) level C&C cage - how did you support the second level?

If you've read some of my posts I've just added a second level to the piggy cage and I'm supporting it with just a grid kind of balanced under there at the moment but wondering how other people have done it? Piccies are great if possible O0 Have been looking on the C&C cages website and found a few different ways to do it but wondering what you guys do :)

Jane :smitten:

On mine - i have a small upper floor, maybe two grids worth with a little ramp leading upto it - All that supports it is cable ties and wool :o but its pretty sturdy and the girls LOVE it!

I'm looking to make a full second floor too...but not sure how to tackle it ;D

lol thanks but it's quite a big second level and it doesn't look safe at all when I take the grid away :-\

edit: hehe just looked over at the cage and Beauty is sleeping right next to the support grid bless him :smitten:

I had a 2x2 upper lever and used a bent grid for support O0
I'd like to make a full second level as well PP but worry the bottom level might be too dark?
I suppose I'd have to try it to see :-\

RE light - Think about how dark a hutch in a shed must be! :(

at least with c&c there is light coming from all the 'walls'?

I will have a fiddle with the grids later and see if i come up with anything clever (dont hold your breath) ;D ;D ;D

Really I want to make a three level c&c so I've got piggy on the bottom and piggy on the top and then both piggies share the middle level.
So I could make it a 2x4 three level and then they both have 2x2 each on the middle level.
I've had to split my piggies up you see because one was barbering the other so at least with the mddle level they could see each other.
However I would need loads of grids which I haven't got at the moment :-\

I used 9mm thick mdf sheet slightly larger than my top floor level. It just sits on that and OH used some large cable clips and nailed them over the botton rung of the grid into the mdf. It is very sturdy :)

Bon Bon said:
Really I want to make a three level c&c so I've got piggy on the bottom and piggy on the top and then both piggies share the middle level.
So I could make it a 2x4 three level and then they both have 2x2 each on the middle level.
I've had to split my piggies up you see because one was barbering the other so at least with the mddle level they could see each other.
However I would need loads of grids which I haven't got at the moment :-\

I've got a 2x4 three level with a 1x2 in the middle at the minute. I'll see if I can get a photo for you. I just use the grid connectors and cable ties for mine, there's no extra support and its really sturdy. It's just a temporary cage, their permanent cage is 2 2x4s with a 1x2 hay loft each, stacked on top of each other with a stand so they're off the floor. I don't have a photo of that because it's half demolished at the minute (to give me enough grids to make a temp cage) but it's made the same, with connectors and cable ties and no extra supports. If you make sure you cable tie every grid to every other grid (basically just reinforce the connectors with cable ties, and make sure that the grids are pshed into the connectors as far as they can go, I found that bit really hard with some grids but if you're building upwards then the grids have to be put together like that or it throws the upper levels out of whack) and fasten it as tight as possible then it should be pretty good. I can pull mine out to vacuum behind it without a problem. Hope this helps

i wanna do a second level aswell but i have know idea how to go about it or how many grids i will need :-\ i want my second level to be 3x3 ?

Thanks Gus and Jack not sure what you mean though with the 1x2 in the middle? A picture would be great if you've got one O0
Also I'd need more grids for the floor which I haven't got yet :(

My cage...
000_4945.jpg

I used piping to give the 2nd floor support, the levels are not connected because the boys live on the bottom and girls on the top.

Emma x

I would be waay too worried to have it like that, esp with all the movement ans weight it has to hold! I think you have diff connectors to me :-\

Does it feel secure? Knowing my luck the whole thing would collapse and crush the boys :o ;D

Its very secure, there are plenty of cable ties used also.
Cleaning the boys out is a bit of a faff on, practically lieing on the floor but I dont have the room to create too long pens so they have to be 2 story. When I move, I will be having long cages without a 2nd story for ease of cleaning etc.

Emma x

Ahhh I forget how strong cable ties are! I am going to do something similar to that, but maybe half the size of my base so theres not *too* much weight being put on it? :-\ ;D

GPQ said:
Its very secure, there are plenty of cable ties used also.
Cleaning the boys out is a bit of a faff on, practically lieing on the floor but I dont have the room to create too long pens so they have to be 2 story. When I move, I will be having long cages without a 2nd story for ease of cleaning etc.

Emma x
oh right :D

Your cage looks great emma O0
I would love to make two separate c&c cages as well but I haven't got the room at the moment either.
I can imagine how hard it is to clean because when I had my second level I had to perform a few acrobatics to get to the back of the bottom level!
The things we do for our guinea pigs! :smitten:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back