• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Supplies List

• Thread starter Thread starter karenrgpr
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

karenrgpr

Please add any thing that you keep in as handy supplies for first aid:

I keep Gripe water, Infacol, Buscopan and rennie Deflatine in in case of Bloat or Gas,
Cystopurin in case of Cystitis
Meadow Sweet Syrup for pain relief Galens Garden
Vit C tablets I usually have some somewhere but they're easy enough to buy in :)
1ml syringes for syringe feeding
Syringes for flushing abscesses and Canulas (blue :) ) these can be got if guinea gets an abscess though an aren't an emergency item imo .
Oxbow Critical Care for syringe feeding from SPH Supplies Recovery is similar but contains Alfalfa and I don't wat to feed my post op pig alfalfa if they have just bladderstones, also mine prefer the Oxbow- both are good nutritionally :)
Avipro Plus Probiotics from SPH Supplies (link above)
Vetark Critical Care for when an extra boost is needed but guinea is still eating on his own and doesn't need the fibre.
Rehydrating fluids (I use Boots own)

Most important is to get a correct diagnosis before attempting (except in the case of bloat and heatstroke) to put things right yourself. Both bloat and heatstroke (and a few other things!) need immediate attention- but you still need to see a vet and its illegal not to seek medical attention. Its boring, but you need to find a good vet before your guinea is ill. There are good vets out there and a vet that wants to be a good guinea pig vet is just as 'valuable' in my opinion.

Most things go out of date when they've been opened but those are the things I keep in and renew without fail.

A useful basic guide to syringe feeding: Guide to Syringe Feeding

I also keep Abidec vitamins and Brolene eye ointment as 'always in' items as well as some pain killers.

I have various other bits and bobs too but my staple items are very much like yours Karen.

I have just started building my supplies up this has been a great help! Cheers O0

Do you think that all piggy owners should have these things just in case? Am just wondering whether I should go and buy some stuff.

We now keep in a load of syringes, with Arrowroot, Buscopan and Diocalm as staples, especially after Dylan's poorly episode the other month. I'll definateky check on things like Meadowsweet Syrup as well. I was asking Sue at SPH about Oxbow Critical care, and even one sachet sounds like an essential.

I have Zolcal D in now as well, a Calcium and Vit D supplement.

I used to use Osteocare but since having the Satins have 'invested' in Zolcal, my vet reckons that it might be better as it was designed for animals and he didn't know the 'strength of Osteocare.

Oxbow Critical Care isn't an 'essential' but it does make life much easier if you have some and when mine is starting to go out of date I make it up and feed it to them :)

I ABSOLUTELY RECOMMEND T TREE WOUND CREAM. IT'S BRILLIENT FOR LITTLE SCABS/BITES AND THE LIKE. I EVEN USED IT ON A SCABBIE LIP. IT USUALLY WORKS IN ABOUT 3 DAYS LEAVING A CLEAN BALD PATCH WHICH STARTS TO GROW BACK HAIR STRAIGHT AWAY. I DON'T KNOW THE MAKE (BECAUSE THE LABELS COME OF MINE) BUT YOU CAN BUY IT FROM MOST PET SHOPS :).

1 ml syringes- very cheap price

If anyone needs 1 ml syringes for medication or feeding,have a look at

First Aid Direct £1.49 for pack of ten.

I have bought syringes from this firm,very quick delivery time.

My vet is very good and he keeps me in Fucithalmic cream for eyes. It's prescription but if I run out I just take said pig to see him and he gives me enough to keep me going for a while longer. I've used it for corneal abrasions (scratches to the surface of the eye) and irritation caused by ingrown eyelashes (as in our hairless boar).

I also usually have a supply of Baytril in the fridge. If kept in the fridge it lasts weeks longer. Again this is prescription but it's a good all round antibiotic that I've used for upper respiratory infections, bite wounds, and various other general "under the weather" complaints.

I have some Metacam in my kit which is another prescription drug. It's a painkiller and I use it when one of them is in obvious pain, such as Rupert when he had a deep puncture wound (via Pogo's teeth) to his side, for example.

With the Baytril and the Metacam you must get the correct dosage before using.

I also keep Optrex for our hairless boar when his eyes get sore.

I have some Kamillosan cream which you can get from pharmacies. It's used for nursing human females to sooth sore nipples but for some reason it heals skin wounds in guinea pigs with amazing speed. It's also very mild which is good.

I have some cornflour which you can get in supermarkets. I use it to stop the bleeding when I cut a nail too short. It works by clotting the end of the nail. Dip the bleeding nail into it and the bleeding stops very quickly.

Please take your guineas to a vet before using prescription meds. For example, Septrin is a better treatment (in most cases) for URIs than Baytril. Fucithamlmic should be freshly opened as it does not have a long shelf life etc etc :)

Sorry, I should have tacked this onto the end of my first post - if you're not experienced with prescription medications then I agree, definately see the vet without question. :D Even if you do have experience, I recommend getting telephone advice from your vet at the least to be on the safe side. I always do! :)

I have some in my medical box because I've been around a block a bit. ;) The only prescription medications I have a supply of are those I have used many times previously after many prescriptions from my vet and I only use them for problems I've had before. Otherwise, my pigs are up the vet straight away! ;D

The Fucithalmic cream has always lasted a while for me after opening and I've had no problems. As long as the tube isn't an old one, it's always done the job. I've not used Septrin before but I've used Baytril more times than I can count because my vet keeps giving it to me! ;D ::) Of course, I would use Septrin if he gave me some. :)

In the UK it is illegal not to seek veterinary advice. The only time you are allowed to treat your guinea is an emergency. When giving antibiotics the whole course should be given (including Fucithalmic). ;)

Karen. I have sent you a private message so as not to dilute the topic of this thread.

I will however say for the record that I do not under any circumstances take it upon myself to medicate my guinea pigs without the express advice and authorisation of qualified veterinary surgeons.

I have always acted within the law and the best interests of my guinea pigs and the private message I have sent you will clear up the misunderstanding you may or may not have of my position. ;)

Also just to mention, I don't promote self medication without express veterinary guidance and I was only listing what I have in my medical box. Hopefully that makes my position on DIY vet care clearer than it was before.

I love my guinea pigs to pieces and I would never do anything to harm them.

I thought it was legal to treat your own pets with non prescription mediation just not someone Else's? I'm sure most of us have a lot of success using tried and tested alternative medication but will go to the vets with our pets if our we need to.

I agree with you Alex.It is legal to treat your own animals,but not someone elses.,but you can give advice to other owners.Gps have a habit of going sick at weekends and bank holidays,and often late at night.Surely it is better to use drugs you have that are known to be safe,at the right dose,than to let the condition worsen while you wait for a vet appointment.
It is just a matter of common sense.If I have a pig that needs antibiotic or diuretic,it gets it.I am confident in my knowledge of drugs and my vet trusts me.I still check with the vet if I am not 100% sure of anything.
I think this country is getting out of hand with ites "thou shalt not"policies,what happended to good old fashioned common sense and experience.

Exactly Mary, that is an emergency and I am not talking about non POMs. I was pointing out that PigPog was not using the best meds for the job (Baytril for URIs) and a vet diagnosis is better in case decongestants or diuretics are needed. Legal Bits on Gorgeous Guineas explains. It is illegal and irresponsible (in my opinion) not to seek veterinary advice and a diagnosis, sorry but the end result often ends up here in rescue, if only people had gone to a vet instead of doing a wait and see or posting for days on a forum seeking advice :) On the other hand one post on a forum has saved a life after a vet failed to recognise symptoms!

My other 'gripe' (!) is that vets need to see pigs and get your ino and feedback too, hopefully PP is doing that :) Nothing personal, honestly, but I am all for improving vetcare, we need them!

Thanks for your message PP, :) I have replied:) I hope you find some of the info useful :) and can understand why I have posted. :) My point was I didn't think you were getting good advice from your vet :)

Firstly I think you may be confused as to the private message situation - I had been trying to send you one today but unfortunately your inbox seems to have been full. With that being the case (and with the discussion continuing on here) I will reply to you on this thread instead.

1) I strongly disagree with any suggestion that I have acted either irresponsibly or illegally as regards the care I provide my guinea pigs. You don't know either myself or my level of knowledge and I find it concerning that you appear to be casting aspersions on both.

2) I have no method of obtaining prescription medication for any animal (and this includes each medication I listed earlier) without the express actions of a veterinary professional from the hospital I use.

3) I take all my advice from a fully qualified professional veterinarian with many years of experience who I have a strong working relationship with and who has not only diagnosed and successfully treated many of the ailments my pigs have suffered but has also shown him to be both conscientious and knowledgeable. Although I am more than willing to ask him about other treatments (and indeed am curious to find out more), I don't have any basis for believing his care is less than brilliant.

The duty of care anyone has to their animals is to ensure that the best professional advice obtainable is followed - the 27 healthy, happy guinea pigs I have are all a testament to this fact (including Rupert who is much better today). If I had genuine doubts then I would ask the opinion of another veterinarian.

4) I'm sorry if you have misinterpreted my words as suggesting that anyone with leftover medicine should feel free to use it whenever. After long conversations with my vet - which are quite frequent as he takes an active interest in my pigs - he and several of his colleagues have each agreed that for certain ailments it is acceptable for me to do so. This view is based on their opinions of my knowledge and ability - something that having met me, they are in a position to formulate.

5) The legal situation is not as clear cut. I live in the Channel Islands where the law differs from that of the United Kingdom. The States of Jersey do actually have a section of the Animal Welfare Law Jersey 2004 specifically for guinea pigs. I am medicating within the law based on the advice given by relevant professionals in my area of residence.

I am well aware of the warning signs of more serious illnesses, and as my bank account shows I have no issues with ensuring whatever level of care is necessary.

I understand that you're reacting to something you see as a concern rather than anything that I am doing. I can't however in good conscience not reply to the clear implications that are being linked to me in your posts - even if you're not aiming them at me, the fact that you are referring to me in the same breath as you are criticising people who prefer to get forum diagnoses rather than take their pet to see a vet is something that I do find frustrating.

Hopefully that should clear the issue up, in future I am more than happy to have such discussions using private chat as I think that this kind of misunderstanding is always better cleared up in private.

Sorry if I am getting involved out of turn here.

PP, I think what Karen was trying to do is to make sure that people reading the thread understood that they still needed to see a vet, not criticising what you are doing with your own piggies. There are a lot of new (and less experienced) people registering on the forum everyday. We wouldn't want them to get the wrong idea and think that they can get by without having to find a good vet. It is clear that there are a lot of very experience GP owners who are able to recognise what is wrong with their piggies and act accordingly by themselves (Peter Gurney did in fact recommend a lot of self medicated treatments in his books - Piggy Potions being the most obvious) however not everyone is as knowledgeable.

I have no doubt that your piggies are very well looked after - and I am sure everyone here would agree with me.

Laure said:
Sorry if I am getting involved out of turn here.

PP, I think what Karen was trying to do is to make sure that people reading the thread understood that they still needed to see a vet, not criticising what you are doing with your own piggies. There are a lot of new (and less experienced) people registering on the forum everyday. We wouldn't want them to get the wrong idea and think that they can get by without having to find a good vet. It is clear that there are a lot of very experience GP owners who are able to recognise what is wrong with their piggies and act accordingly by themselves (Peter Gurney did in fact recommend a lot of self medicated treatments in his books - Piggy Potions being the most obvious) however not everyone is as knowledgeable.

I have no doubt that your piggies are very well looked after - and I am sure everyone here would agree with me.

I completely agree. My concern is my name popping up in the same breath as words such as "illegal" and "irresponsible". I don't want people getting the wrong end of the stick. Just because I replied to this thread with the contents of my medical box which happens to contain some prescription medications doesn't mean I don't think people need to see the vet, and I'm unhappy that the contents of my medical box spawned this entire conversation. I was only trying to help. I agree with you most about the need for a vet; we don't want people to think we don't need vets because every owner absolutely needs to have a vet they can work with. I have several.

Thanks for the comments, I appreciate the sentiment. :)

:) :) :) Laure has put my intentions very well. PP I apologise if I have offended you. I was also concerned about the medication you were prescribed for your guinea and the fact that he's rattly but as you're experienced I'm sure he'll be fine. :)

I am aware that you are in Jersey and although I am only aware of Guernseys legal system being slightly different (I have family there) I guessed Jerseys could be hence saying about UK law- it could be different where you are.

I apologise for my outburst re people not getting veterinary treatment ASAP, it didn't reflect you but does reflect many and some of the victims end up here at the rescue- I stand by my words but perhaps it was unecessary :) Getting overemotional and all that :)

POMs are readily available nowadays without a vet if you know where to look, they are often the wrong strength for guineas and innappropriate- whilst you weren't advocating people do this I would hate for anyone to think its acceptable. Alternatives are available, legally, in my own post at the start of the thread :) As you say this doesn't concern you or what you are doing, maybe I jumped in too quick ::)

I do however think we all need to take our pigs to the vet when necessary and give our vets feedback- I have a superb vet and when one of my pigs got an eye poke injury rather than take him to my normal vet I saw another new vet at the surgery just to see how she was with guineas, hopefully with amount of guineas I take in she will soon be as familiar with them and knowledgable as Jenny :) But thats probably something more for a rescue to do given the numbers we have, this can then benefit the general public who shouldn't have to travel far to find a vet:) (sorry but this is my baby ::) )

Hi

We get ivormetic from our vet, and also baytril and metacam, but we always contact a vet for advice.

Also we found that using the menthol crystals for colds are also good, if the guinea pig has had a cold or chest infection.

We place a small amount in a bowl and place the bowl by the cage for them to inhale.

Jaye.

Hi Karen,

Apology accepted and thanks for understanding where I was coming from. :) Let's move on now, shall we? O0

I forgot to add - I also have a tube of 100% pure aloe vera gel for Hairy (our hairless chappy) to keep his skin supple. I don't use it often, but he gets it after he's had a bath in Gorgeous Guineas Mini Pig Shampoo. He's an adult guinea pig but we like the shampoo because it's mild enough for pups and therefore mild enough for his skin. :)

I also have some Gorgeous Guineas Lice 'n' Easy Shampoo which I use for pigs with lice alongside veterinary treatment to make doubly sure the lice go away!

maisynpoppy said:
i dont have any of these, just a vet :)

;D and I hope you're giving feedback, we need to visit them so they get better with guineas and they'll only do that by seeing more clients :) A guinea competent vet is a very good thing to have in your first aid box ;)

yup ive kept them updated and told them response times to treatmeant etc :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back