Sunflower Petals

A Guinea Pig

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have wild sunflowers growing behind where I live. Can I give the petals to the guinea pigs or does it have to a a specific kind?

From what I just googled it seems they can't unfortunately.Have you got any roses growing?The petals are safe for guinea pigs to eat as long as they're not the shop bought ones.

From what I just googled it seems they can't unfortunately.Have you got any roses growing?The petals are safe for guinea pigs to eat as long as they're not the shop bought ones.
I do have roses growing! I am drying them so that the piggies can have them in farther into the future. That’s good to know, I’m glad I did not pick them.

Sunflowers petals are safe for guinea pigs.
Lots of shops sell them as a dried natural forage, but they're safe fresh too.
e.g. The Hay Experts - Sunflower Petals | Herbs & Treats | The Hay Experts

The only real exception to this is sunflowers that have been bought as a bouquet via a shop. It's not the sunflowers themselves that are unsafe, but the preservatives and suchlike that have been used on the plants to increase the longevity of the blooms. But sunflowers that are harvested direct from outside just have the usual provisos of away from roads etc. This is the same with other cut flowers - roses are the more common example of not feeding from a bouquet.

Sunflower blossoms
Sunflower advice please

I am going to stick with Roses, the Sunflowers I have growing are not a type I know about and I don’t want to take any risk if this wild type is bad.

Back