Suggestions Please

• Thread starter Thread starter PriscillaPig
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PriscillaPig

I'm very much looking forward to being Guinea Pig Parent.(as I will get a(pair)guinea pig for Christmas)I read all the reviews about bedding,and all I really understand is that woodshavings suck(so to speak)What is vetbed?I know its all a matter of preference,but what is economical and good for piggies?I was searching on line & found something called Fluff-a-Bed.Any one ever hear of it?It's supposed to be a pad made of natural fibers that the piggies can rip & shred & nest for them selves?I wonder if thats any good?Any way I open for any & all help.
Thank-you

Me personally, I use dust exctracted woodshavings.
I never had a problem with it at all, its cheap, it soaks up the urine very well, I am a fan of it.
Because I like variety though, I also have bricks in the cage for them to hop on, bits layered with hay, bits layered with straw, etc.
So that they dont have to walk on the same bedding all the time.

But whatever works best for you.

Vetbed is like a fluffy carpet, that lets the urine soak through to the newspaper that you put underneath it, and supposedly the piggies are always walking on dry bedding as the wetness is way underneath. Some people have said though that with them owning a few more than two, the vetbed was always a bit damp, so they changed to different bedding. You can buy vetbed at your local vets most of the time, or on Ebay, where its usually a bit cheaper.

In the housing forum, at the very top you will find Review-Threads for the most commonly used beddings, and the different opinions on it. Have a read through there to get some different views on different bedding :)

Abnoba said:
Me personally, I use dust exctracted woodshavings.
I never had a problem with it at all, its cheap, it soaks up the urine very well, I am a fan of it.
Because I like variety though, I also have bricks in the cage for them to hop on, bits layered with hay, bits layered with straw, etc.
So that they dont have to walk on the same bedding all the time.

But whatever works best for you.

Vetbed is like a fluffy carpet, that lets the urine soak through to the newspaper that you put underneath it, and supposedly the piggies are always walking on dry bedding as the wetness is way underneath. Some people have said though that with them owning a few more than two, the vetbed was always a bit damp, so they changed to different bedding. You can buy vetbed at your local vets most of the time, or on Ebay, where its usually a bit cheaper.

In the housing forum, at the very top you will find Review-Threads for the most commonly used beddings, and the different opinions on it. Have a read through there to get some different views on different bedding :)

ohhhh ive never thought of bricks for them to jump on.. *starts whacking the living room wall down*

I use vet bed inside, and got some off ebay and some on the roll from a local petshop. It's quite expensive to start with but then you don't need to buy anymore. I put a thick wad of newspaper underneath which soaks the pee up and the bedding stays dry.

I have longhaired pigs and it's fantastic for them as they don't get tangles from hay (they have it to eat in hanging food balls). It is a bit of a pain to get all the hay and poops off it and then wash. And I find ideally it needs changing every 2-3 days which is quite a bit of extra washing.

I keep the boys in the shed on newspaper covered with dust extracted shavings covered with hay and this is fine for outside imo. Inside it makes too much mess.

ohhhh ive never thought of bricks for them to jump on.. *starts whacking the living room wall down*

LMAO! you made me laugh then hehe

I use woodshavings and some safe bed stuff which is similar to megazorb its fab! i use lemon sented shavings to keep smells at bay

i recomend carefresh although it can get a bit dusty, i use lavendar scented woodshavings from pets at home, i found their plain shavings v.dusty. mine have newspaper/shavings/hay and shredded paper ontop.
i got a bit of vetbed free with my dog's bed and i found it needed washing v.often, especially with my three boars.

I'm not sure.I'm wondering if anyone here knows?I saw it online somewhere

Had a look on a website and I don't think fluff a bed is suitable for a guinea pig. it is more for mice and hamsters who make their own beds. A guinea pig will just sit on it and more than likely pee on it. I use carefresh in one half of my cage and a peice of pet bedding I get from poundland which costs, you guessed it £1. I cut it in to 3 strips so it lasts ages as my piggy does'nt pee on it. Its a bit like fleece and is nice and comfyfor him to sleep on.

I personally dont use woodshavings as they can be dusty, but also quite sharp
I use newspaper and hay

Joeychan said:
PriscillaPig said:
So woodshavings are good,as long as they're dust free?

Could someone please confirm this please. :)

I have used them for a lot of years and never, ever had a guinea pig health problem that I could attribute to using them :)
I have recently started using Megazorb though, but have shaving here to use if I run out!

Many peole will advise against shavings, so if you look in the bedding review section, you should get a wide range of views :)

Barbara

I just use hay on top of newspaper. From my own experience in rescue work I do not use wood shavings as I have known a number of male piggies get bits of wood shavings stuck under their foreskin, I take a lot of piggies in whom have been bedded on wood shavings whom have skin problems, these have resolved with the appropriate treatment and have not reocured once bedded on newspaper and hay.

Others would argue differently ...

Billies Mum said:
I use newspaper and hay

that can't be very absorbant though, but i've never tried it so i don't know

rip_ernie said:
Billies Mum said:
I use newspaper and hay

that can't be very absorbant though, but i've never tried it so i don't know

I use a mixture of newspaper, hay and vet bed. I have hutches in a shed, which are never closed. In the bedding areas I use newspaper and hay and then I use newspaper with vet bed in the open areas. I don't have any problems with it not being absorbant enough but I am a bit of an obsessive compulsive cleaner and I spot clean every and day and do 'big cleans' three times a week. Also my pens are really large (2 in one and 1 in the other) so they don't really seem to get that dirty.

I stopped using woodshavings not just because of the health warnings but because I have 2 long haired piggys and the shavings would get caught in their hair.

mt long haired piggy gets covered in woodshavings, i just brush it out daily with a puppy comb. he seems to like being combed ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back