Suggestions for indoor housing for separated boars please!

• Thread starter Thread starter tworedboots
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tworedboots

Hi there. I have run into logistical problems with my guineas now that it has come to preparing for winter. We got a pair of baby boars back at Easter time but unfortunately had to separate them after a couple of months when they began fighting to the extent of injury. At that point we bought a double hutch which lives in the garden, and a large run which we divided with grids, so that they can see one another and interact, but are not able to fight and hurt each other. This has worked really well all summmer.

I had always been planning to house them indoors during the winter (didn't tell dh that at the time, lol, he mistakenly thinks they're staying outside!), and I have space for a 5 x 2 c&c type cage - yet to be built but I'm working on it. However, now that they have been separated, somehow I need to be able to divide the space. Having said that, I don't really want either guinea pig to be cramped - I think 5x1 each would be too small, what does everyone else think? Obviously I could just put 2 5x2 cages on top of one another in the same floor space but I can't help thinking that would make the bottom one very dark. Has anyone got any better suggestions for how I could do it? and pictures if possible please!

thanks,
Sarah.

Hiya,

One pig can live in a 3x2 which would mean you would need 6x2. http://www.guineapigcages.com/index.htm I have the same problem. I have a shed where the boys are going into at the weekend. My Sheltie and Aby had a huge fight and its been a struggle to know what to do for the winter. So Cuzzy is going in a 4x2 and the boys in a 6x2 (was originally I 5 but will have enough grids to make it a foot bigger).

I think 3x2 each will be ok for one pig each but if you can make it a 4x2 that would be great.

Good luck!

Louise
x

Thanks. However I really don't have space for a 6x2 inside, unfortunately. If you make a second level above does that count as enough extra floor space? Just thinking I could make two 2x2 squares, each with an upper level? Are ramps good for guineas? I'm sure I read somewhere that they weren't, but lots of those c&c cages seem to have them.

Sarah.

Hi Sarah,

I think it counts as extra floor space. In hutches people take into account the upper levels. Hopefully someone can come along and tell you for sure. Ramps are ok for pigs as long as they are well secure.

Good luck with it!

Louise
x

I need luck for more than just building the cage. DH and I have just had a blazing row over bringing them inside at all :(

Did anyone's husband *really* ever leave them because they love guinea pigs more than them?!

Seriously, can someone direct me to some hard evidence that says why they need to be indoors? He is convinced that they will be fine outdoors, 'after all in south america they run wild and their climate is more extreme heat and cold than ours', and tbh I don't actually have any proper information to say any different. I just know I want them indoors nearer to me! He says I'm just being selfish as I don't want to get cold cleaning them out (he does have a point there).

well one other option could be a shed or a unused Garage my Oh also to refuses for them to be inside unless they are ill so i had a shed and they are really happy now that they have there new pens

I know how you feel tworedboots my OH and I just had a blazing argument and I hoped he wouldnt make me choose because guinea pigs dont go in the huff or shout at you. PM me if you want to vent more

tworedboots said:
Did anyone's husband *really* ever leave them because they love guinea pigs more than them?!

Mine might do one day ;D ;D

If you have do have to keep them outdoors and you dont have a shed/garage, could you have the hutch in the most sheltered part of the garden and build a car port type thing around it? You would only need thickish wooden posts and some corrugated plastic over the top and say 2 sides to shelter them from the worst of the wind/rain? You would still need a hutch hugger and water bottle hugger to stop their bedding and water freezing and extra hay for warmth.

My hubby has said the same about the climate in South Africa, however these are not wild guineas they are our lovelies and we want to protect them. Nowt wrong in that. If there is no other option then I would get a hutch hugger. I do everything for my pigs. Peter likes them but because they are my pets I have to look after them and make cages etc. Tis fine, it's fun!

Personally I don't want pigs in my house I have two daughters and for hygenie reasons I prefer them in their own place which is why I've opted for a shed.

Louise
x

tworedboots said:

Don't know, but I left my husband because he was cruel to my dog! ;)

lavenderjade said:
If you have do have to keep them outdoors and you dont have a shed/garage, could you have the hutch in the most sheltered part of the garden and build a car port type thing around it? You would only need thickish wooden posts and some corrugated plastic over the top and say 2 sides to shelter them from the worst of the wind/rain? You would still need a hutch hugger and water bottle hugger to stop their bedding and water freezing and extra hay for warmth.

Maybe this would be ok..........

Its not ideal.....but a reasonably cheap option.
OH`s are a PITA at times, I'm lucky mine isnt, he loves the piggies as much as I do :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back