Sudden loss after twisted gut / GDV

Digital-Sneeze

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So this is my 5th guinea pig loss, sadly the 4th only 5 weeks ago, but it's my first that is a shock. All my other lost pigs I've had mental preparation time, and it's hard to know what to do or feel.

Beansprout had an acute case of bloat about 3 weeks ago, but thankfully recovered quite quickly after getting the appropriate medication. From that point on I completely stopped giving her lettuce and cucumber, and only very small amounts of green bean, as I suspected that might be a trigger. The following weeks she was doing well and I was getting ready to find her a friend (after she lost Cinnamon a few weeks prior), but one evening I stupidly gave her a treat (it was the Excel natural snacks), and her stomach started loudly gargling about half an hour later, which I knew was a bad sign.

The next day she followed the exact same symptoms as before: very uncomfortable, darting back and forth in the cage and not being able to rest comfortably. I immediately restarted the med course that was given to me a few weeks earlier, as I still had the meds (metaclopromide, loxicom and buprenorphine) . Anyway, the next day I realised that it was worse this time, she wasn't taking her syringe feed as well, she started making a grunting sound (which I realise now may have been backed up fluid) and her poos effectively stopped. She seemed in distinct pain this time around. After taking her back to the same vet as before, she said this time that it seemed like their was a blockage in her stomach and that she recommended an overnight stay and xrays, and possibly surgery.

It wasn't even two hours when I had a call, and the vet said it appeared she had a twisted gut. She said that this surgery would be a 10% chance of success, but as a last ditch attempt she suggested that a tube be passed through her to determine if there was a blockage and to try and push through what was there, which I agreed to. Less than an hour later she called back and said that she was unsuccessful with this, and that she was very much blocked from her twisted gut, so I opted at this point for PTSD.

I took her in expecting to bring her home with more meds. The idea of a twisted gut had occurred to me but it wasn't what I was expecting, all this in the space of a few hours. I wish I could have given her the chance of surgery, but it was financially impossible after Cinnamon's vet trips, but the 10% chance of success will always haunt me. After £1500 in 5 weeks I have financially crippled myself, and have had to borrow in order to get her an individual cremation.

I'm taking a hard line with my remaining 3 pigs: no more treats other than hay and their daily veg, this is the lesson I'm taking from this.

I'm sorry I'm such a lurker on this forum. I only come here for my own problems, but I find guinea pig pain so hard to deal with that even hearing about other pigs that are ill or mistreated upsets me, so I create a bubble for myself. I don't even look at other photos of guinea pigs because it makes me think about their mortality. I will try and contribute more in the future. Right now though I am going to do something I never do and drink by myself, because I can't figure anything at the moment.

I just realised this is about guinea pig bereavement, not my own! Please feel free to remove or relocate this thread!

I'm very sorry that you have lost Beansprout not only shortly after Cinnamon but also under such dramatic circumstances. A twisted stomach doesn't happen that often (luckily!), but an operation has only a very slight chance of success.
You did everything you could have done for your girl.

We never know how much time we have got with our fluffy little angels, but every moment with them is precious.
At the moment the grieve is overwhelming, but I hope that you will be able to enjoy your piggies again in the near future.

I just realised this is about guinea pig bereavement, not my own! Please feel free to remove or relocate this thread!
So this is my 5th guinea pig loss, sadly the 4th only 5 weeks ago, but it's my first that is a shock. All my other lost pigs I've had mental preparation time, and it's hard to know what to do or feel.

Beansprout had an acute case of bloat about 3 weeks ago, but thankfully recovered quite quickly after getting the appropriate medication. From that point on I completely stopped giving her lettuce and cucumber, and only very small amounts of green bean, as I suspected that might be a trigger. The following weeks she was doing well and I was getting ready to find her a friend (after she lost Cinnamon a few weeks prior), but one evening I stupidly gave her a treat (it was the Excel natural snacks), and her stomach started loudly gargling about half an hour later, which I knew was a bad sign.

The next day she followed the exact same symptoms as before: very uncomfortable, darting back and forth in the cage and not being able to rest comfortably. I immediately restarted the med course that was given to me a few weeks earlier, as I still had the meds (metaclopromide, loxicom and buprenorphine) . Anyway, the next day I realised that it was worse this time, she wasn't taking her syringe feed as well, she started making a grunting sound (which I realise now may have been backed up fluid) and her poos effectively stopped. She seemed in distinct pain this time around. After taking her back to the same vet as before, she said this time that it seemed like their was a blockage in her stomach and that she recommended an overnight stay and xrays, and possibly surgery.

It wasn't even two hours when I had a call, and the vet said it appeared she had a twisted gut. She said that this surgery would be a 10% chance of success, but as a last ditch attempt she suggested that a tube be passed through her to determine if there was a blockage and to try and push through what was there, which I agreed to. Less than an hour later she called back and said that she was unsuccessful with this, and that she was very much blocked from her twisted gut, so I opted at this point for PTSD.

I took her in expecting to bring her home with more meds. The idea of a twisted gut had occurred to me but it wasn't what I was expecting, all this in the space of a few hours. I wish I could have given her the chance of surgery, but it was financially impossible after Cinnamon's vet trips, but the 10% chance of success will always haunt me. After £1500 in 5 weeks I have financially crippled myself, and have had to borrow in order to get her an individual cremation.

I'm taking a hard line with my remaining 3 pigs: no more treats other than hay and their daily veg, this is the lesson I'm taking from this.

I'm sorry I'm such a lurker on this forum. I only come here for my own problems, but I find guinea pig pain so hard to deal with that even hearing about other pigs that are ill or mistreated upsets me, so I create a bubble for myself. I don't even look at other photos of guinea pigs because it makes me think about their mortality. I will try and contribute more in the future. Right now though I am going to do something I never do and drink by myself, because I can't figure anything at the moment.

BIG HUGS

Multiple losses are always very hard to bear. If you are a longer term owner or have a number of guinea pigs, then losses happen more often in what I call 'stampedes to the Rainbow Bridge' and not nicely spaced apart.

Unfortunately, there are things that happen out of the blue without warning and that you can never prevent or brace for. A twisted gut is one of these. It's not your fault but just cosmic bad luck in the short straws lottery. All you can do is race your piggy to the vets as soon as possible for pts/euthanasia; been there with a twisted gut and have that t-shirt myself as well. If you do that, then you have done well and have done the best any loving owner can do in those cricumstances. Thees experiences can leave you quite literally shaking like a leaf; I have done that a couple of times coming out of the vet clinic.

It doesn't make you a bad owner; there are always things in life that are not in your control but it is important that you accept that in each single case. There are always things you can improve; that is in the nature of a life-long learning curve but it doesn't have be because you are feeling like a failure or out of guilt.

The problem is that we humans are wired to always seek the fault with outselves. The feelings of guilt and not being a good owner are a lot stronger after a sudden traumatic death or when you have a cluster of deaths. Please don't drink but seek support from one the various the Blue Cross pet bereavement platforms when they are open again. Being able to talk it out of yourself does really help.
Pet bereavement and pet loss

We do have a sensitive and very practical bereavement guide for guinea pig owners, which will hopefully help you, too, in order to make a bit more sense of what you are experiencing: Human Bereavement: Grieving, Processing and Support Links for Guinea Pig Owners and Their Children

I completely understand how you are feeling at this sad time. At the end of November my 6 year old piggy became very ill very quickly and I had to take her to an emergency vet. After scans and a general anaesthetic she was found to have a twisted stomach but sadly didn't make it. As hard as it is right now, think of the happy times you had with her and be gentle with yourself as you grieve. Sending hugs
Rest in peace little one you are out of pain now 🌈

BIG HUGS

Multiple losses are always very hard to bear. If you are a longer term owner or have a number of guinea pigs, then losses happen more often in what I call 'stampedes to the Rainbow Bridge' and not nicely spaced apart.

Unfortunately, there are things that happen out of the blue without warning and that you can never prevent or brace for. A twisted gut is one of these. It's not your fault but just cosmic bad luck in the short straws lottery. All you can do is race your piggy to the vets as soon as possible for pts/euthanasia; been there with a twisted gut and have that t-shirt myself as well. If you do that, then you have done well and have done the best any loving owner can do in those cricumstances. Thees experiences can leave you quite literally shaking like a leaf; I have done that a couple of times coming out of the vet clinic.

It doesn't make you a bad owner; there are always things in life that are not in your control but it is important that you accept that in each single case. There are always things you can improve; that is in the nature of a life-long learning curve but it doesn't have be because you are feeling like a failure or out of guilt.

The problem is that we humans are wired to always seek the fault with outselves. The feelings of guilt and not being a good owner are a lot stronger after a sudden traumatic death or when you have a cluster of deaths. Please don't drink but seek support from one the various the Blue Cross pet bereavement platforms when they are open again. Being able to talk it out of yourself does really help.
Pet bereavement and pet loss

We do have a sensitive and very practical bereavement guide for guinea pig owners, which will hopefully help you, too, in order to make a bit more sense of what you are experiencing: Human Bereavement: Grieving, Processing and Support Links for Guinea Pig Owners and Their Children
Thank you, don't worry, I'm not a drinker, it's just one just slow down my mind for a night, it's not a habit I've ever carried on (and I'm not going to handle my current pigs; they're all sorted for the night). I know I'll be fine, it's my 5th loss, and I'm still here. I will no doubt ruminate on how I could have avoided this had I prognosticating abilities, but that will pass in time.

I completely understand how you are feeling at this sad time. At the end of November my 6 year old piggy became very ill very quickly and I had to take her to an emergency vet. After scans and a general anaesthetic she was found to have a twisted stomach but sadly didn't make it. As hard as it is right now, think of the happy times you had with her and be gentle with yourself as you grieve. Sending hugs
Rest in peace little one you are out of pain now 🌈
Thank you, twisted gut almost seemed like one of those things that would never really happen, but now the link between bloat and a twisted gut seems obvious because of the trauma bloat could logically have. She always had a sensitive stomach in the nearly two years I had her (I believe she was 3 when i got her: a rare spayed pig for my unneutered 5 year old boy who lost his cage mate: the best gift I ever gave him!).

I'm sorry for your loss, that's very recent. 6 is a great age to live to, but it never feels enough. I hope you're doing well regardless.

I'm very sorry that you have lost Beansprout not only shortly after Cinnamon but also under such dramatic circumstances. A twisted stomach doesn't happen that often (luckily!), but an operation has only a very slight chance of success.
You did everything you could have done for your girl.

We never know how much time we have got with our fluffy little angels, but every moment with them is precious.
At the moment the grieve is overwhelming, but I hope that you will be able to enjoy your piggies again in the near future.
Thank you, all my focus will now be on my group of 3. I've only ever known 4+ pigs over two cages, so this will be a shocking change tomorrow when I have to dismantle the top part of the cage. Thankfully they're all only around 3 years old, and seem fine, so I'm hoping it's a while before any issues come up, but as you say, you can never really be sure!

I am so sorry 😞 Take care. The pain you have right now will ease with time and those beautiful memories you have of your lost piggies will shine through :hug:

Thank you, wasn't my favourite way to end the year but here's hoping the next one will be a bit better.

HUGS

It never is. I lost two of mine just 24 hours apart on 19th/20th December last year; one of them (a 5 year old who had been sailing along perfectly well) going into unexpectedly into organ failure on Sunday late evening and the other one was a very frail 7 year old who did the same over the following night. :(

You can just never choose when and what from your piggies die; all you can do is give them what they want out of their lives: happy todays in good care. That way, you never fail them irrespective of how long or short they live. 'Average life span' is a human concept, not a cavy one.

I hope that the next year will bring you new joy.

HUGS

It never is. I lost two of mine just 24 hours apart on 19th/20th December last year; one of them (a 5 year old who had been sailing along perfectly well) going into unexpectedly into organ failure on Sunday late evening and the other one was a very frail 7 year old who did the same over the following night. :(

You can just never choose when and what from your piggies die; all you can do is give them what they want out of their lives: happy todays in good care. That way, you never fail them irrespective of how long or short they live. 'Average life span' is a human concept, not a cavy one.

I hope that the next year will bring you new joy.
Thank you, I'm not sure I could cope with losing 2 in only a day, especially if one seemed fine. Thankfully I've never lost one under 5 years old, but I know that I won't always be that lucky, so I will always give the best I can give every day they're around <3

Thank you, I'm not sure I could cope with losing 2 in only a day, especially if one seemed fine. Thankfully I've never lost one under 5 years old, but I know that I won't always be that lucky, so I will always give the best I can give every day they're around <3

HUGS

It was tough - especially as it happened right in the middle of me losing 22 piggies in 24 months; Breila and Hyfryd were piggy losses #9 and #10 for that year (my record year of losses) and they were piggies #19 and #20 in as many months. I was in temporary grieving overload during that time. :(
The overall age distribution was about what you'd expect - a few youngsters for medical issues; the majority around the average life span of 4-7 years and three piggies that reached around 8 years (one of them even lived to celebrate her 8th adoption anniversary).

Just be kind with yourself and give yourself time to grieve. It is OK to be not OK for a bit but better to seek pet bereavement support if you really struggle to function in daily life. What counts is the depth of your bond, not the species or the length of time. Love is love, whoever is the recipient.

Pets are always on a loan from above that can be cancelled at any time. Cherish every day you have with them, and learn to live more in the day yourself. I have adopted 5 year olds (and in one case even a widowed group surviving 7 year old who lived to see her 9th birthday); they all gained a renewed zest for life and made the time with me seem a lot longer than it actually was.
Even a decade later, I cannot think of my 'poor' arthritic stuck in rescue Bryn Oscar the Name Deaf, who had the time of his life for a year before old age caught up with him being a cross between Casanova and Jack Sparrow with a touch of Genghis Khan thrown in. But he packed so much into it (including several cage escapes to cause some major mayhem with the other group husboars) that that one year feels like a lifetime.

But through the shared time with you they become part of your own lifestory and who you are as a person so you never lose them completely. I like to think of my past piggies as my little furry guardian angels looking out for my current ones - what they have taught me now benefits their successors. :)

HUGS

It was tough - especially as it happened right in the middle of me losing 22 piggies in 24 months; Breila and Hyfryd were piggy losses #9 and #10 for that year (my record year of losses) and they were piggies #19 and #20 in as many months. I was in temporary grieving overload during that time. :(
The overall age distribution was about what you'd expect - a few youngsters for medical issues; the majority around the average life span of 4-7 years and three piggies that reached around 8 years (one of them even lived to celebrate her 8th adoption anniversary).

Just be kind with yourself and give yourself time to grieve. It is OK to be not OK for a bit but better to seek pet bereavement support if you really struggle to function in daily life. What counts is the depth of your bond, not the species or the length of time. Love is love, whoever is the recipient.

Pets are always on a loan from above that can be cancelled at any time. Cherish every day you have with them, and learn to live more in the day yourself. I have adopted 5 year olds (and in one case even a widowed group surviving 7 year old who lived to see her 9th birthday); they all gained a renewed zest for life and made the time with me seem a lot longer than it actually was.
Even a decade later, I cannot think of my 'poor' arthritic stuck in rescue Bryn Oscar the Name Deaf, who had the time of his life for a year before old age caught up with him being a cross between Casanova and Jack Sparrow with a touch of Genghis Khan thrown in. But he packed so much into it (including several cage escapes to cause some major mayhem with the other group husboars) that that one year feels like a lifetime.

But through the shared time with you they become part of your own lifestory and who you are as a person so you never lose them completely. I like to think of my past piggies as my little furry guardian angels looking out for my current ones - what they have taught me now benefits their successors. :)
The fact you haven't given in to grief and carried on having guinea pigs as a pet speaks to your character. I feel like every time I lose one I briefly tell myself that I can't do it any more, but I then remember the time I have with them is the most important part of my life. I'm currently in the "I'm not sure I can do it anymore" stage, but I know that'll pass. Bryn Oscar sounds exactly like the reason to carry on having a life with guinea pigs!

I only had about 2 years with Beansprout, as I got her when she was about 3 or so, and I think she was possibly kept on her own before , but even though she wasn't an overly social piggy, I know she appreciated me, and I was very happy to give her a happy life and a friend to be with for her remaining time, and I loved her unique qualities.

I only have a group of 3 now, all around 3 years. It's a bit quiet now since Cinnamon and Beansprout went, but I think when I am more financially able, I will rebuild the top of part of the cage and find another two rescues.

The fact you haven't given in to grief and carried on having guinea pigs as a pet speaks to your character. I feel like every time I lose one I briefly tell myself that I can't do it any more, but I then remember the time I have with them is the most important part of my life. I'm currently in the "I'm not sure I can do it anymore" stage, but I know that'll pass. Bryn Oscar sounds exactly like the reason to carry on having a life with guinea pigs!

I only had about 2 years with Beansprout, as I got her when she was about 3 or so, and I think she was possibly kept on her own before , but even though she wasn't an overly social piggy, I know she appreciated me, and I was very happy to give her a happy life and a friend to be with for her remaining time, and I loved her unique qualities.

I only have a group of 3 now, all around 3 years. It's a bit quiet now since Cinnamon and Beansprout went, but I think when I am more financially able, I will rebuild the top of part of the cage and find another two rescues.

Thank you.

My first (family) guinea pig goes 50 years back to my childhood; and while there was a break as a young adult when I was living in innercity flats where I couldn't have them, they have been part of my life for more years than not - and so has the pain of losing them. The first deaths were of course devastating and I cried a river. It also took me very much by surprise how much and long I struggled in the wake of my favourite piggy ever (Minx, in pre-forum times); but it also eventually opened the door for me to take my piggy journey into a very different and equally amazing direction.

In the end, what piggies bring to my life always outweighs the pain of losing them by far. However long or short, they are a blessing when the chips are down for me.

I am now on an adoption stop and am gradually working my numbers down because old age is very much standing on the doorstep now and the piggy room may need to have to be repurposed not too many years down the line, which in itself is a bit of an underlying grieving note for me.
Nevertheless, I have been able to fulfill my last piggy dream a year ago in the darkest time of my piggy journey when I couldn't cope with the relentless string of losses at the same time as I had to face up to the fact that I might never get my old life back. Everything just came together at the right time. Little miracles do happen.

Some of my piggy dreams took 30 years or even over 40 years to wait for until the time was right but the wait has been worth it because you appreciate it so much more. Never stop dreaming, especially in your darkest moments. :tu:

Give yourself the space and time to grieve and to face the darkness; the light of love will shine the brighter for you again if you allow this to happen and if you allow yourself to endure the darkness and the doubts. That is where your inner strength grows from.

PS: Minx: It Is 10 Years Today...

So sorry for your loss. Many of us here have felt deeply about our piggies passing unexpectedly so we feel your pain. Be good with yourself and allow yourself to grieve. ❤️❤️

Thank you.

My first (family) guinea pig goes 50 years back to my childhood; and while there was a break as a young adult when I was living in innercity flats where I couldn't have them, they have been part of my life for more years than not - and so has the pain of losing them. The first deaths were of course devastating and I cried a river. It also took me very much by surprise how much and long I struggled in the wake of my favourite piggy ever (Minx, in pre-forum times); but it also eventually opened the door for me to take my piggy journey into a very different and equally amazing direction.

In the end, what piggies bring to my life always outweighs the pain of losing them by far. However long or short, they are a blessing when the chips are down for me.

I am now on an adoption stop and am gradually working my numbers down because old age is very much standing on the doorstep now and the piggy room may need to have to be repurposed not too many years down the line, which in itself is a bit of an underlying grieving note for me.
Nevertheless, I have been able to fulfill my last piggy dream a year ago in the darkest time of my piggy journey when I couldn't cope with the relentless string of losses at the same time as I had to face up to the fact that I might never get my old life back. Everything just came together at the right time. Little miracles do happen.

Some of my piggy dreams took 30 years or even over 40 years to wait for until the time was right but the wait has been worth it because you appreciate it so much more. Never stop dreaming, especially in your darkest moments. :tu:

Give yourself the space and time to grieve and to face the darkness; the light of love will shine the brighter for you again if allow this to happen and if allow yourself to endure the darkness and the doubts. That is where your inner strength grows from.

PS: Minx: It Is 10 Years Today...
Minx sounded amazing! I love how every pig brings something different, they're never the same. Even the less social ones always end up having their own quirks and things you'll always remember. I'm glad she brought so much happiness to your life.

And it sounds like you really have lived the guinea pig dream. I've only known guinea pigs now for about 7 years, thanks to an ex girlfriend who had them, and I took them from her when we broke up as they all effectively became mine (despite my financial situation being nowhere near as good as hers, something I'm working on now specifically to secure their futures better and so I can have more). I hope my future with guinea pigs is as long and amazing as yours is, it's definitely what a want in life now.

I hope even when you have to wind down your guinea pig adoption you'll always have some around, it sounds like you won't have it any other way!

So sorry for your loss. Many of us here have felt deeply about our piggies passing unexpectedly so we feel your pain. Be good with yourself and allow yourself to grieve. ❤️❤️
Thank you, it's nice just knowing other pigs out there are loved and well cared for and, sadly, are missed as much as my own.

Back