Subordinate pig showing dominance to dominant pig

Janee74

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I’m feeling quite worried at the moment because my subordinate 21 month old sow Buttercup is showing dominance behaviour towards my dominant 23 month old sow Butterscotch. They were bonded successfully when Buttercup was a baby, and they have never fought or shown any aggression to each other. Butterscotch has been having a very strong season and has been rumblestrutting at Buttercup a lot. Today when they were in the cage Buttercup started to rumblestrut at Butterscotch and to chase her and attempt to hump her. Butterscotch is running away and making whining sounds. Is this normal and is there anything I need to do? I’m worried that they will fight

Hi

Your girls won't fight or fall out.
You will see behaviour like this either when a sow is coming into a strong season (in which case the problem will likely be over by tomorrow) or if she has small growing ovarian cysts (the latter especially when the behaviour is persistent for longer than a week or two).
Buttercup is now at an age where it could be either. Please see a vet if is becoming a persistent problem as it is likely an ovarian cyst in that case.

You can find more detailed in-depth information on both issues in these links here:
Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)
When Sows Experience A Strong Season (videos)
PS: I would kindly ask you to please not to type your title in upper case. We are NOT social media where you have to shout for attention. 'Screamers' are in fact much harder for us to read when we scroll through our alerts, so I always leave them until last whenever I am coming on and rather work on the other notifications first in order of their emergency.
We are doing our best to answer any threads on this forum as soon as possible, considering that we are doing all of this for free in our own free time; that is still faster than in many other places. Thank you.

I didn’t mean to scream that’s how I write all my titles out of habit. Thanks for the reply and advice. I will look at the links you have kindly sent me
Hi

Your girls won't fight or fall out.
You will see behaviour like this either when a sow is coming into a strong season (in which case the problem will likely be over by tomorrow) or if she has small growing ovarian cysts (the latter especially when the behaviour is persistent for longer than a week or two).
Buttercup is now at an age where it could be either. Please see a vet if is becoming a persistent problem as it is likely an ovarian cyst in that case.

You can find more detailed in-depth information on both issues in these links here:
Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)
When Sows Experience A Strong Season (videos)
PS: I would kindly ask you to please not to type your title in upper case. We are NOT social media where you have to shout for attention. 'Screamers' are in fact much harder for us to read when we scroll through our alerts, so I always leave them until last whenever I am coming on and rather work on the other notifications first in order of their emergency.
We are doing our best to answer any threads on this forum as soon as possible, considering that we are doing all of this for free in our own free time; that is still faster than in many other places. Thank you.

I didn’t mean to scream that’s how I write all my titles out of habit. Thanks for the reply and advice. I will look at the links you have kindly sent me

I hope that you will find the links helpful. We use them to save us the time for having to write long posts each time with - for us - very repetitive advice but as a way that you actually have the relevant comprehensive information accessible in full and can take the link with you when seeing a vet or thinking about what to ask them specifically.

Upper case titles are unfortunately one of our bugbears on here, the same as people posting Help! in the title without saying what our help is needed for and how life-saving critical their problem is actually at the other end of the title spectrum...
For us a title in upper case is like an imported tin with Chinese script and language labelling when skimming through the adverts whereas a title that just contains the word 'Help' is basically a full tin that has lost its label right at the other end of the spectrum.
When you ask around, you will generally find that titles in upper case elicit more often a negative reaction in readers because they can all too easily come across as attention seeking and queue jumping since they put the reader to a greater effort of deciphering and reading. Because it takes more time to read them, it is perceived as trying to standing out but very much in the wrong way. The longer the title in upper case, especially when using longer words, the more difficult it is to read and less people will be bothered to make the effort.

You are more likely to get greater responses with a shorter but precise title what you are about in lower case because is putting the reader at least effort and therefore makes them more likely to read and respond wherever you post and not just skip the thread because they cannot be bothered.
Like in your case, just to use it as an example: 'Dominance problems with under-sow' or, if you prefer to keep using capitals in titles, 'Dominance Problems with Under-sows' - both easy to read and telling me exactly what is going on without too many long and complicated words. Using a capital letter just at the start of crucial words is a much more effective way of conveying your message quickly because the eye will automatically be drawn to the capitalised words while keeping the actual words easy to read; that is why titles often use them in a good (because effort-saving) way for the reader and why in this area Capitalisation has persisted.
Type the various longer and shorter titles in various ways underneath each other and then look at which stands out as the easiest at just a glance and then try to read them as quickly as you can and see for yourself what is working best. ;)

Please take this as a constructive help to reconsider what you want to achieve with your title choices across social media and not as some arbitrary pouncing from me. You will be surprised as to much subconscious luggage comes with something as simple as a choice of font or case and how much you can achieve by thinking about any issue from the side of the recipient and not just the sender. And how much that can also impact on how you are perceived as a person and therefore interacted with altogether. You seem to be a nice person, so don't put yourself into a tin that comes with different connotations. First impressions are important.

PS: I often need to use longer titles in the information guides to list all the areas that the content covers so people know that their particular problem is actually covered when doing their research. Very different purpose. ;)

Back