• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Stroke - what do I do?

Big Sky Piggies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi, I really need help please.

I’m pretty sure Willow had/ is having a stroke, how do I help her best please? She’s nearly 6, I just want her to be comfortable and I don’t know what’s best to do. Other than being extremely wobbly and tilting her head to one side and one eye is twitching, she’s completely herself. She’s eating, biting me to show that she’s had enough of being held and coddled, wriggling to get back to the hutch. Is it worth a trip to the emergency vets? What can they do to help her? She was absolutely fine this morning and I only just noticed when I went out to bring them in off the grass about 5 minutes ago.

Bumping and offering support. I would take her to the vet as she might need a painkiller. It could be an inner ear infection, which can be painful.

Hi, I really need help please.

I’m pretty sure Willow had/ is having a stroke, how do I help her best please? She’s nearly 6, I just want her to be comfortable and I don’t know what’s best to do. Other than being extremely wobbly and tilting her head to one side and one eye is twitching, she’s completely herself. She’s eating, biting me to show that she’s had enough of being held and coddled, wriggling to get back to the hutch. Is it worth a trip to the emergency vets? What can they do to help her? She was absolutely fine this morning and I only just noticed when I went out to bring them in off the grass about 5 minutes ago.

Hi

HUGS

I am very sorry. Please keep her quiet, comfy and warm but not hot. Contact the out-of hours vets and ask for their advice.

Switch to weighing once daily first thing in the morning when the daily weight swing is at is lowest for best day to da comparison and to plan the support level for the coming day based on whether the weight is stable or not.

Please monitor the eye on the affected size and use tear gel three times a day to keep it hydrated if needed. Also monitor the teeth if she is no longer able to chew on one side. Be aware that there could be more strokes; in fact there often are.

More information on strokes and other neurological issues (what extremely little there is) can be found in this link here:

Here is our emergency and crisis care collection with all necessary information and advice

Fingers very firmly crossed!

Thank you all! She seems the same this morning as she was last night, I keep offering her water and she is having some, she’s still eating. I’ll read over the guides and call the vets, thank you!

Back