Stress levels rising!

munchmonster

Forum Donator 2024/25
Reaction score
Following Wilbur's departure for the rainbow bridge his companion of 5 years, Tilly, was very quiet and withdrawn, so after a week I decided she needed a companion or two. I adopted 2 young bonded sows from a rescue but bonding hasn't been going well.
I followed the process but they didn't like her so after talking to the very good rescue I had to split the c&c set up down the middle, but giving Tilly the upstairs section in her half.
They seemed to be reasonably ok as neighbours as there is no teeth chattering and they do acknowledge each other's presence.
Yesterday I tried re-introducing one new piggy and my older girl on my lap but although there was no fighting, there was teeth chattering and 1 bite from the younger one. Tonight I tried again and it went slightly better but Tilly looks scared20220928_222610.webp so tomorrow I have to try again but with the other new sow.
My big problem is that I worry if bonding doesn't happen they will all be living in a space that it too small for them and cleaning the current set up is a nightmare. Its important to me that they are all happy, so I hope that they will all be able to be together soon. Anyone had this problem? All suggestions welcome.
Sorry for the quality of the pic

Can you specify if there was a real bite or just a nip. After a bite, you should always abort any bonding; it is never going to work out. Personally, I don't think it will. The body language is all wrong.

Very sorry, but some bondings just don't work out and you cannot force it. If the bond is not a happy one, then it will surface time and time again. :(

Are you aware that guinea pigs have territorial behaviours and that the interaction through the bars is more likely not a friendly one?
Look up the relevant entry in our new behaviours guide: A - Z of Guinea Pig Behaviours

I am sorry it doesn't seem to be working out.
Often a bonded pair might not be willing to have a new sow join their group.

On the plus side you say the new girls came from a good rescue.
If the bonding does ultimately fail then any responsible rescue should be more than willing to take the girls back to make sure of the best outcome for everyone.

Hi Wiebke thanks for the info which I have read through this evening. The 'bite' was probably a nip. I put two of them together on my chest this afternoon and stroked them while softly talking to them. They settled really well and snuggled up together so after 1/2 hour of that, I put them in the enclosure together but they immediately went for each other.

Hi Wiebke thanks for the info which I have read through this evening. The 'bite' was probably a nip. I put two of them together on my chest this afternoon and stroked them while softly talking to them. They settled really well and snuggled up together so after 1/2 hour of that, I put them in the enclosure together but they immediately went for each other.
So sorry it seems to have gone wrong. Maybe you can find a rescue that offers bonding dates so your girl can choose her own friend

Back