Straw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I live in Scampton village, famous for the Dambust
I have just been reading through alot of the topics on bedding and I like the sound of fleece bankets for the bedding area.
I have a question, George is 9 months old and we have had him since he was 4-5 months old and as some of you may or may not know he used to live with Snoopy our rabbit. At the time we decided on straw on top of newspaper and woodshavings which he has always been alright with. But now we have Mildred he lives with her, and they too have their bedrooms lined with newspaper, woodshavings and straw. I'm just a bit concerned though that I have not read anything for or against straw and I was wondering whether to continue using it or to use something else. I'm presuming in some cases is straw bad for a guinea pigs skin?
Any advice would be gratefully received.

I think straw is just not good for guinea pigs cause it may cause eye injurys ?
Do you give them hay ? If so then they dont need straw just put hay down instead where you used to put the straw O0
Also you did a good thing by removing your guinea pig from your rabbit as a rabbit can kill a guinea pig by accident with their strong back legs ;)

Well straw is hard and can cause eye poke injuries as already said and also piggies like to munch away on hay and I believe that would have more nutritional value than Straw. As I loveguineas has already said put the hay everywhere that you would have used your straw, you can fill hay racks with it etc and then you will have 2 very happy piggies :D :D

Thank you so much for the advice, I appreciate it. I never even stopped to think about the reasons that have been said. I'm sure that George will be happy :) to have hay to sleep in as he eats a crammed full hay rack of his herby hay and two loo rolls stuffed full of hay every day. He will go to bed with Mildred from now on with a nice bed of hay, can't guarantee he will wake up on anything as he will probably eat it all ;D

My pigs love hay as bedding for that very reason, breakfast in bed! ;D

I used straw as bedding so that it didn't get eaten - if I used hay it would be gone in 5 minutes so they would have nothing to sleep on :o

I never had any problems with it for the guinea pigs, but I have stopped using it due to my own allergies.

I use hay for bedding too and when the cage has just been cleaned out - the girls are madly wheeking to get back in to the cage cos they know there's a big massive feast waiting for them. :smitten:

The hay in my cages gets eaten quite quickly, but they never have none left to sleep on because I top it up throughout the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back