Straw?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Porridge

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
i guys, so i've been looking at bedding and i am just wondering if guinea pigs can be kept on straw? the quality of my current shavings is rubbish they are so dusty, and my verdo supplier is out just now, but having horses i can get straw for free.

all advice is helpful guys thank you :)

I use aubiouse, tenner for twenty kilos.Snowflake is good too.Straw is a no no for piggies

I must admit that I used straw bedding for my piggies for quite a long time. However, it was very soft clean straw, sold in vacuum-packed bags (from Wilko) so it was squashed tight and all the stems were flattened and scrunched up. Never had any problems with it and Bonnie particularly loved burrowing into it. Straw for horses would not be suitable for piggies because it would be very course and dusty. (I know, I used to have a pony!) All my pigs are on fleece or Vetbed now.

I wouldn't use straw. I'd be worried of eye pokes and it is not very absorbable! There are loads of different beddings out there to try. I use Fitch :)

I must admit that I used straw bedding for my piggies for quite a long time. However, it was very soft clean straw, sold in vacuum-packed bags (from Wilko) so it was squashed tight and all the stems were flattened and scrunched up. Never had any problems with it and Bonnie particularly loved burrowing into it. Straw for horses would not be suitable for piggies because it would be very course and dusty. (I know, I used to have a pony!) All my pigs are on fleece or Vetbed now.
Admittedly my outdoors piggies were on straw, but it was vacuum packed and I did flatten it down it formed a super soak away bedding. It was practical in that situation but having discovered aubiose I would use that now.

I use a good deep pile of shavings, soft oat or barley straw again a nice wad and tons of hay on top. Using the straw will trap in any dust from the shavings and also help to keep the top section of the bedding dry by soaking up any moisture.. The idea is to allow them to burrow into the hay and not the straw. The thick layer of shavings under will trap air (fluff it up before putting the straw ontop) and will help to keep your pigs warm over winter (as the air pockets heat)

You can only use soft straw for guinea pigs. I buy pets@home straw because it is as soft as hay!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back