• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Strange nipples!

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexr

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Quite a strange query here! I have noticed that Beryl has strange nipples in that she has a sort of groove next to them that fill up with stuff. Upon closer inspection and if you gently press near the groove a stange white waxy stuff comes out with a smell of sour milk. I have not seen this with any of my other lady pigs. I don't think Beryl has ever been pregnant and I know she is not now. Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

Alex

hmm... maybe she thinks she is pregnant so she is begining to store milk but she really isnt pregnant and the milk isnt being used so it goes sour? Not real sure sorry!

if there is no way she is pregnant, then it could quite possibly be a phantom pregnany. But keep an eye on the leaky nipples :)

I'm guessing the discharge would go crusty, this is what Peter Gurney says about it: Teats can occasionally suffer from a kind of crusty scabbing. I am convinced that this is cause by fungal activity but I have never had any tests done on the debris that has to be cleaned off. I do know that Aloe Vera gel is the best thing to break this crustiness down, which is anti-fungal but it is also a good general skin cleanser so this doesn’t necessarily prove that this is a fungal problem.

is it where they think they are pregnant but they arent?.... evil piggies trying to trick us lol jokes!

baby-wilson said:
is it where they think they are pregnant but they arent?.... evil piggies trying to trick us lol jokes!

yup lotsa animals get that

yes! my little lionhead rabbit pulled out all the fur from her tummy until it was bald and made a beautiful nest. but there was noway she could be pregnant because her husband was neutered more than a year ago. :D

bunpig said:
I'm guessing the discharge would go crusty, this is what Peter Gurney says about it: Teats can occasionally suffer from a kind of crusty scabbing. I am convinced that this is cause by fungal activity but I have never had any tests done on the debris that has to be cleaned off. I do know that Aloe Vera gel is the best thing to break this crustiness down, which is anti-fungal but it is also a good general skin cleanser so this doesn’t necessarily prove that this is a fungal problem.

Ooh thank you for this suggestion. This is a possibility! It is sort of crusty on the top yuk. I am visiting the vet with Babs and Bree tomorrow so might ask him what he thinks it might be. Shall report back. Thanks all x

bunpig said:
yes! my little lionhead rabbit pulled out all the fur from her tummy until it was bald and made a beautiful nest. but there was noway she could be pregnant because her husband was neutered more than a year ago. :D

awwww :( the poor love

Take her to the vet and get her checked out for mammary tumours or Ovarian cysts, it may not be this but better to be safe than sorry. :)

Hi!

I checked this out with the vet and he said it was a yeast infection. I am to keep the area clean with baby wipes and if it continues he will give me some cream for her. Apparently the cream isn't advisable as a first port of call as the guineas tend to ingest the cream when preening. Anyway shall try cleaning her first. That solves that one!

Alex x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back