• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

strange nipple question?

• Thread starter Thread starter tanith
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tanith

Hope this dosn't sound wierd, but here goes....

I havn't been doing so much physio on Inca lately as she hates being turned on her back and she's recovering her legs so well, but i turned her on her back tonight to check on how much movement her legs have now and noticed her nipples have got realy long. She has also been trying to mount Helga every chance she gets.

Any ideas anyone?

Is it just that she is feeling better and wants to re-assert her authority as she was top pig before she was paralyzed? I can understand that for the mounting but not the nipple thing :-\

Maybe she's in heat? I dont know if the nipples actually change when they're in heat, just a thought lol?! x

It is normal.

Double check the sexes just to be sure its not pregnancy related, otherwise I wouldnt worry :)

They did all their usual rumbling and silliness with the full moon last week so i thought the mounting should be over with for that reason, i've never seen her nipples change before though.
I've had the girls together now for 2yrs and both are definately girls :) I did used to wonder before i knew any better though i must admit lol :)

Just bear ovarian cysts in mind, ask your vet to have a feel of her ovaries next time you go in. Spaying isn't necessary if thats what it is, a course (or two) of Chorulon injections have always worked for mine.

Repeated mounting of another sow is caused by hormonal imbalance which occurs with ovarian cysts.Bilateral hair loss along the sides and tummy are also indicative of ovarian cysts.

I would agree with this, as I had a pig with similar problems a few years ago. Unfortunately, although she received the chlorulon injections, she eventually died of kidney failure. I just wish I'd got her to the vets earlier, to be honest (plus it was in the days before I found a decent vet), as she had been over-dominant and behaving hormonally for a long time.

Although Choralon is excellent,it does not work in every case.I have had 3 pigs it has worked for and 2 it did not.If the Chorolon does not work the only other treatments are hysterectomy or drainige.Neither of these 2 options are good.Hysterectomy is a very big op for a piggy,and drainage,could,cause infection.Also the cyst will often fill up again. I find that Chorolan works best on smaller cysts,although it is worth trying on large ones.If the drug is unsuccesful,unless the cyst is causing problems,I leave them alone.I have had in the past,many sows with cysts that have lived to a comfortable old age.

I've got a sow who's starting to show signs of cysts age 3. I've decided against the spay as it was a disaster for the last sow I had done (she turned out to have a large uterine tumour as well as cysts and only lasted a week after) so I'll go with injections if her symptoms increase.

I would certainly keep an eye out as the enlarge nipples are one of the first signs.

If mine developed more cysts I would let them have another course of Chorulon, I needed to do this for Emily and she had them drained (not under anaesthetic) and was fine. I'm afraid a spay is too invasive for my liking, I draw the line at castrates and some bladderstone ops.

Eventually cysts will put pressure on other organs as they get bigger surely?

I hope its not cysts Tanith :-\ the poor girly has been through so much already without this added :( x

It's really interesting to hear views on spays, as it's something I've never had done on a sow, but I often wish I had with the hormonal pig I mentioned. I'd never have forgiven myself if she'd died during the op though, and it was in the days before I found a decent vet.

I've had one done and it took so much out of the sow I wouldn't have it done again. Whether or not my vet would do it is another thing, I suspect she wouldn't be too happy about it :-\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back