• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Strange grunting noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spanner94

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi guys!

like all pet owners at the moment I’m struggling to see a vet to have my little boy looked at.

I was wondering if anyone had their own opinion on what could be wrong with my boy. For the past few days we’ve noticed he’s been making a low grunting and grumbly noise, I will attach two videos so you can hear the noise.

Any suggestions would be amazing as me and my boyfriend are in a bit of a panic at the thought of one of our children being poorly.

Many thanks

Joanna 😊

Password for videos - Bacon
Video one -
Video two -
(Sorry if the videos have not yet uploaded)

Please get your piggy to the vet as soon as possible. It may possibly be a URI. Let us know how you get on. Send them an email and then call them.

Please get your piggy to the vet as soon as possible. It may possibly be a URI. Let us know how you get on. Send them an email and then call them.

I’m trying to get him seen by a vet, the best they can do at the moment is a telephone consultation tomorrow and then they’ll decide whether he needs to be seen. It’s extremely frustrating when all you want is answers 😞

This sounds very much like the time my piggy had hay stuck up his nose, although since it is ongoing he should be seen by a vet; it could be a URI as Siikibam said. I hope all goes well with getting him seen!

I have two boys and one of them were making this sound one morning when I woke up about 2 weeks ago but luckily by midday it had stopped and he has been fine eversince, thank goodness, I hope your Guinea pig is alright.

Hi fellow guinea pig lovers!

Took my boy to see the vet today who couldn’t find anything wrong with him, completely healthy... just unfortunately slightly overweight but when I discussed his diet with the vet he said there was nothing wrong with the diet.

He gave me some Anti inflammatories just incase there’s something wrong internally with bones etc... however he’s a happy boy, still clearly enjoying his food.

😊😊

Good to hear. How old is he and how much does he weigh? Heft is a better indicator rather than actual weight.

Hi fellow guinea pig lovers!

Took my boy to see the vet today who couldn’t find anything wrong with him, completely healthy... just unfortunately slightly overweight but when I discussed his diet with the vet he said there was nothing wrong with the diet.

He gave me some Anti inflammatories just incase there’s something wrong internally with bones etc... however he’s a happy boy, still clearly enjoying his food.

😊😊
Brilliant let's hope all will be ok x

Good to hear. How old is he and how much does he weigh? Heft is a better indicator rather than actual weight.
We’ve got three guinea pigs:
Leia who is 3 and weights 1315g
Bacon who is 1 and weights 1510g
Pancake who is 1 and weights 1520g

all three of them are very happy, they’ve got little fat bellies but they’ve still got a defined waist and you can still feel their ribs if you were to pick them up....

From reading an article on this site about weight and heft I don’t think we’ve got anything to worry about.

Your Guinea pigs sound fine to me and nothing to worry about, enjoy them and take care from Joanne

There is def nothing wrong with your boy..My girl is doing this same thing..started yesterday..i got her to the er today as a precaution and they said she is healthy also..clear lungs...etc...they also said sometimes piggies will make those grunting noices and its fine...my exotic say her last week about it too and he said he thinks its just how she is...because xrays previously taken were good so its safe to say you can ignore those sounds unless you see more dritical signs like nasa discharge etc

Please stop telling people there is nothing wrong with their piggy based on what was the case with your piggy. it’s impossible to ever say that unless you are vet having given a hands on examination of the piggy in question.
Please also check the dates is posts before resurrecting them. Again, this is another post which is a few years old where the OP has not logged onto the forum for many years.
Resurrecting old posts pushes new posts down the list meaning things may be missed by those of us who monitor the relevant sections.

i disagree mine has gone thru exactly the same thing and is fine so yes i can say this..and its shared experience..besides they said themself that they saw the vet and vet said he is fine so you shouldnt be making comments like that

You can share experience, yes, but we don’t tell members/start the post with such a big statement as there is ‘definitely nothing wrong’ simply based on your experience. You may be able to ignore a grunting sound based on your piggies previous xray but it doesn’t mean someone else can.
Luckily as this post is so old we already knew the outcome but we do have to be very careful on here that somebody else doesn’t read a post and see somebody say ‘my piggy had the exact same thing and was ok’ and take that as it being the same when it may in fact it may not be.
This is why we as staff are very careful about posts in the health, pregnancy and care sections, they are monitored by specific staff and members with the relevant experience and are identified by our badges in our signatures.

We have asked you a few times not to resurrect old threads. Making comments on old and concluded threads pushes new ones down which those of us who monitor the sections may then miss.

Please do share experience but don’t state specifically that a pig is ok based on what happened to yours - it may not be the same - and please don’t resurrect old threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back