• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Strange grunting noise!

Status
Not open for further replies.

furryfriends (TEAS)

Forum Founder
Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Director at TEAS (East Hunsbury) Northampton
Ralfie has just been making a very strange rhythmic grunting noise. I've never heard any of my piggies make this noise before. I took him out of the cage and he continued to make this noise which seemed to be in time with his breathing. He doesn't seem ill in any way and the noise has now stopped, although it did last for about five minutes. He's eating really well and has just had lots of grass and veggies. Any ideas of what it could have been?

I am here with him most of the day so will be keeping close eye on him.

does he sway too? it sounds like he cud be rumble strutting, they do this as a dominance /mating dance thing.... Sows and boars both do this.
Just a suggestion.

No its not that, to be honest it sounded a bit like he was snoring! Do you think he could have perhaps got something caught in his throat and now that he has eaten its disloged whatever it was? He seems fine now and his breathing looks regular and normal.

Yeah could be rumble strutting or maybe just a mad five minutes - piggies have them too you know ;D Maybe there was a bit of undigested fodder stuck somewhere (?) You're right to keep an eye on him though. He sounds fine as he's still eating. Good luck hope he is OK O0

One of our sows did this some months back, it only lasted a day (vet booked for following day) and I think she had managed to either scratch her throat or got some hay caught because the following day she was absolutely fine. Snoring is a very good description! Hope its something as simple as that.

Caviesgalore said:
One of our sows did this some months back, it only lasted a day (vet booked for following day) and I think she had managed to either scratch her throat or got some hay caught because the following day she was absolutely fine. Snoring is a very good description! Hope its something as simple as that.

He's been fine since. I have to say i've never heard anything quite like it. Well apart from snoring LOL Yes I am thinking it must have been something caught in his throat.

Clare said:
Glad he ok... didnt mean to patronise by the way..... O0

Don't worry - you were only making a suggestion. Thanks for trying to help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back