• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

strange grey dots in the fur

maelle

New Born Pup
Reaction score
hii, ive noticed that my guinea pigs have some grey dots in their fur. the dots arent moving and seem quite clingy but i can get them out if i try with my fingers. loulou’s (beige and white fluffy one) fur also looks bitten but I'm not sure of it could be by her or her sisters. however, ive heard them argue a bit and her sisters have also been sprayed by pee. its strange because i cant find any sort of lice-like insects that it could be. i also treated all of my guinea pigs and their cage last month for lice because they had a few. please let me know if you have any idea of what this could be and how i could help her, thank you xx

Attachments

• IMG_7127.webp
    IMG_7127.webp
    20.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_7130.webp
    IMG_7130.webp
    33.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_7132.webp
    IMG_7132.webp
    16.9 KB · Views: 2
Not an expert, but possibly hay mites. Better get them checked at the vet. Mine are currently being treated for them.

Please have them vet checked.
Mites are not visible to the human eye - all you can see is their evidence (scratching, egg casings in the hair etc).
Lice are visible - they are pale crawling creatures.

Treatment for lice is a vet strength ivermectin course of three separate treatments with two weeks between each treatment. This is to ensure the whole life cycle is caught - treatment only kills live parasites but not their eggs so the second and third treatments ensure all are caught and the life cycle doesn’t continue.
If you happened to use a pet shop parasite treatment then it is probable that it was not cured. Pet shop products are too low dosed to be fully effective, and while they may suppress temporarily, often the lice and mites return.

Please have them vet checked.
Mites are not visible to the human eye - all you can see is their evidence (scratching, egg casings in the hair etc).
Lice are visible - they are pale crawling creatures.

Treatment for lice is a vet strength ivermectin course of three separate treatments with two weeks between each treatment. This is to ensure the whole life cycle is caught - treatment only kills live parasites but not their eggs so the second and third treatments ensure all are caught and the life cycle doesn’t continue.
If you happened to use a pet shop parasite treatment then it is probable that it was not cured. Pet shop products are too low dosed to be fully effective, and while they may suppress temporarily, often the lice and mites return.
thank you so so much i will do xx

Back