Strange going on’s…

Guineapoops2022

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello my most dominant pig as fas as I’m aware is doing a low rumbling vibrating noise all morning jumping on newer piggy’s back is this ok? Are they ok to be left together to figure things out… they have been together 2 weeks now and this has started today many thanks x

Thank you! Now one of my other piggy’s is like biting the most dominant and like trying to pull bits of her hair out but it seemed like she was enjoying it like they awere cleaning one another until dory tried to bite hair out… lots of squabbling going on this morning…

Hello my most dominant pig as fas as I’m aware is doing a low rumbling vibrating noise all morning jumping on newer piggy’s back is this ok? Are they ok to be left together to figure things out… they have been together 2 weeks now and this has started today many thanks x

Hi

Can you please mention the age and gender as well as how long have you had your piggies with behaviour questions; you will get a better answer as the same behaviours can have different meanings in different contexts.
We are jumping between to many different threads in a day whenever we have time to come on here nor are we able to read every thread and remember it some time later. This place is too lively for that.

As you seem to have new sows but are now past the initial 2-3 days with the strongest hierarchical dominance behaviours, it is very likely that your top lady is in season. Seasons are often stronger initially as the shared excess of pheromones will help to cement the new bond as well as the group hierarchy. Sows will mount each other when in season even in a group with a 'husboar' present, except for the small window of fertility right at the end of it. A strong season does come with lots of drama and can throw the unsuspecting new owner.
The madness should be over within a few hours. ;)

Please take the time to read our sow guide links. They contain both information about sows in season as well as group establishing dominance behaviours, so you should find them helpful in understanding what is going on:
Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)
When Sows Experience A Strong Season (videos)
A - Z of Guinea Pig Behaviours

Back