Strange boar bonding (with lots of background)

Hunt76

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Before I kick this off, let me say I apologize for the long post - I’ve pored all the literature I can for months, but feel like I need some help here from somebody who knows more than I do. I’m sorry if it’s a bit long-winded, but I want to do right by my two boys.

I have a 4-year-old rescue boar who the “rescue” insisted had to be single because he was “aggressive.” Further investigation and prying revealed that he’d been attacked by his original cagemate, requiring stitches, and became very skittish with other pigs. He was then placed in a communal cage (an obvious recipe for disaster) at said “rescue,” where he allegedly bit another boar. Unfortunately, this bite wound became infected and ultimately led to the other boar’s death some weeks later. He’s always been really good with people, as long as I’ve known him, and seems to have really relaxed since leaving the stressful rescue environment - he’s gained weight, and he looks so much healthier. His original owner, who clearly loved him but was unable to care for him, reached out to me and said he’d always been a shy, skittish boy with people. In the time I’ve known my boy, though, he’s been quite the opposite - he’s happy to sit with me, and will talk and even flop over to take naps while hanging out on my chest. He’s pretty quiet and low-key, though - I’ve never heard him wheek or seen him really popcorn.

This old boar stayed with a friend of mine for a short while, due to an unsavory work situation I was in at an old job, and had supervised interactions with some of her other boars. Based on those interactions, it was obvious he isn’t aggressive - some humping with one boar, but he hit it off with a disabled boar and there wasn’t a single hump or chatter exchanged between them. Regrettably, they couldn’t stay together due to the temporary nature of his stay.

I recently rescued a 14-17 month-old boar, who’s significantly smaller in stature than my old man, from a different rescue. He had been part of a trio that devolved into bullying/fighting, where it’s believed the dominant pig in the group was withholding food from the other two. His ear is split from being bitten, but he’s obviously a very social boy with pigs - albeit a bit skittish, at times, with people.

Introducing the two on neutral ground, there was a TON of teeth chattering from my old boar along with the usual nose-raising posturing and circling. The new, smaller boar humped the daylights out of my older, bigger boar - much to my surprise. The old boar would run away, or sit in place and take it while he continues eating hay and veggies, while submissively squealing. Eventually, things settled down and the two laid down next to each other. The decision was finally made to put them into their new cage, a 6x2 C&C with a blanket draped over each end to serve as two easy-exit hides.

In the cage, the dance continued but much more subdued. I eventually left for a short period, reluctantly, knowing they have to sort out their hierarchy and territory regardless of me. Upon my return, I was shocked to find them sleeping a few inches apart - totally flopped over - under the same hide. Over the next few days, the ritual continued with back-and-forth chasing and posturing, with teeth chattering from the old boar and rumbling from the new boar. In these confrontations, the old boar would often approach with his nose in the air, teeth chattering, with his body at an angle - odd but, I believe, an angle to allow himself to quickly run away. There was some nipping but the old boar but, often, they’d both jump and run away at the same time when they thought the other might nip. Between these episodes, they’d often be found eating from the same hay feeder (despite having two) or sitting/sleeping in close proximity to each other. Sometimes, during these hangouts, the old boar would start chattering with seemingly no provocation.

A few days in, I noticed an open wound under the new boar’s jaw. I hate to interrupt their process, but I divided their cage in half with C&C panels while this injury was dealt with. He was taken to a pig-savvy vet, who wasn’t sure if it was a bite wound or just an abscess. He was prescribed several medications, and it’s healing really well!

During this separation, I tactically positioned hides to encourage the two to hang out near the divider. They spend most of the day close together, with the new boar sometimes rumbling through the divider or stretching out his fat little body and trying to climb onto the other boar’s side. He often talks at the old boar, and the old boar sometimes talks back. Other times, he chatters or nips through the divider. Occasionally, upon the new boar sticking his nose through the divider, the old boar will sort of squeak and hop in place - I’m not sure what this is, but I’m guessing it’s either surprise or a pensioner’s attempt at popcorning?

I’ve been allowing the two to have closely-supervised floor time and lap time together, where there’s been little to no humping by the new boar - some quiet rumbling, but even the rumbling now seems subdued in nature. They’ll sit together on me, talk, and be totally chill until the old boar gets fed up with something and nips or starts incessantly chattering. During floor time, lunging isn’t uncommon and chattering is the norm from the old boar - sometimes, the new boar will start quietly chattering after the old boar’s chattering sets him off. Sometimes, even during floor time, they’ll settle in together and hang out happily - before the old boar starts chattering or gets nippy. Before their separation, they’d often rummage behind their cage during floor time and sit together in the back corner happily - never any issues with each other back there, despite the confined space. It seems obvious to me that the new boar wants to be friends, but the old boar only wants to be friends when he’s feeling up to it - at least, right now. It’s clear to me that he’s not overtly aggressive, and any aggressive behavior he may exhibit is fear-aggression. I feel terrible that he’s been repeatedly failed by human ignorance, and would love for him to live out his golden years with more friends than just me.

I’m really not sure how to proceed with this once the new boar’s injury is healed, honestly - do I just take the divider out and leave it be, completely sterilize everything and reintroduce on neutral ground again, find the new boar a different friend, or find different friends for each of them? I hate to condemn the old boy to a solitary life because he’s been so much more active with another pig around and, as wonderful as our time together is, I work 40+ hours/week and can’t provide constant companionship. Furthermore, I am not a guinea pig.

Again, I apologize for the very long-winded post but I’m intent on doing right by my boys, and wanted to provide the full background, as many of you are far more knowledgeable than I am.

Thank you all so much!

Sorry to hear you've had some bonding troubles and a potential injury. Glad to hear he is healing well!

I'm sure our more experienced members will be along to advise soon.

Having owned boars for years, they can be tricky to pair up. I had two that detested each other, but since maturing and losing their buddies, they are now bonded and best of friends. I think hormone levels dropping helped; though I still see the odd spike. I think what helped was that they were neighbours for a long time before bonding.
I also have a lone boar, whom despite several bonding attempts is just too easily bullied. So he lives between his neighbouring boar pairs and interaction through the bars is plenty for him.

Are you regularly weighing to monitor food intake? It can be a problem if one isn't getting enough due to tension between the pair.

Sometimes no matter what we try, some pairs are just destined to never get along. It's not all that uncommon in sows either.

I do hope other more experienced members on here may be able to offer you some tips. I hope you can find the best solution for you all

Sorry to hear you've had some bonding troubles and a potential injury. Glad to hear he is healing well!

I'm sure our more experienced members will be along to advise soon.

Having owned boars for years, they can be tricky to pair up. I had two that detested each other, but since maturing and losing their buddies, they are now bonded and best of friends. I think hormone levels dropping helped; though I still see the odd spike. I think what helped was that they were neighbours for a long time before bonding.
I also have a lone boar, whom despite several bonding attempts is just too easily bullied. So he lives between his neighbouring boar pairs and interaction through the bars is plenty for him.

Are you regularly weighing to monitor food intake? It can be a problem if one isn't getting enough due to tension between the pair.

Sometimes no matter what we try, some pairs are just destined to never get along. It's not all that uncommon in sows either.

I do hope other more experienced members on here may be able to offer you some tips. I hope you can find the best solution for you all
Yes, I weigh them every 1-2 days and both are maintaining weight - they certainly aren’t shy about eating, either alone or together!

Hi and welcome

It is very difficult for us to judge the behaviour without having direct access via a video etc. to read the body language and assess tension levels. Behaviour through the bars can be both territorial or friendly but it very much depends on the context and accompanying body language and behaviour.

There seems to be a lot of fear-aggressive (i.e. insecurity) behaviour from your older boy (like the sideways angle he has when performing any dominance behaviours for instance). The bite at the rescue was clearly a defence and not an aggression bite - hence the expression fear-aggressive.

What I would propose is that you try to read up on behaviours so you can interpret better what has happened and what is going on now.
It will hopefully also enable you to understand more what is going on when you conduct a full re-intro on neutral ground (outside the cages) to see whether the bond is still viable or not. You will usually see fairly quickly whether the boys are happy being back together or whether there is an unresolved issue (grudge factor) in their relationship or whether they will do better as next door neighbours.

We have got a lot of detailed in-depth information on a wide range of behavioural aspects, which you may find helpful:
- Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics (a step-by-step guide through the full complex 2 weeks bonding process with lots of interactive behaviours for each stage explained)

- A - Z of Guinea Pig Behaviours (includes individual behaviours but also contains chapters on fear-aggression, dominance behaviour complexes as well as territorial behaviours (which I think I am the first to ever write about in their proper context; mostly they are misidentified or unknown))

- Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs

- " Biting" And What You Can Do (Biting, Tweaking, Nibbling and Nipping)

- Bonds In Trouble (incl. how to evaluate whether a bond is still viable or not)

Please make sure that you only have open hideys with at least 2 exits so no boy can be cornered anywhere in the cage. Most frontal bites are usually defensive ones from a piggy who doesn't see any other way out of a tight spot. It is an instinctive split second thing. Old traumas can have a long reach.; it can well be that your older boy may have a tendency to over-react instinctively whenever he feels pressured.

Hi and welcome

It is very difficult for us to judge the behaviour without having direct access via a video etc. to read the body language and assess tension levels. Behaviour through the bars can be both territorial or friendly but it very much depends on the context and accompanying body language and behaviour.

There seems to be a lot of fear-aggressive (i.e. insecurity) behaviour from your older boy (like the sideways angle he has when performing any dominance behaviours for instance). The bite at the rescue was clearly a defence and not an aggression bite - hence the expression fear-aggressive.

What I would propose is that you try to read up on behaviours so you can interpret better what has happened and what is going on now.
It will hopefully also enable you to understand more what is going on when you conduct a full re-intro on neutral ground (outside the cages) to see whether the bond is still viable or not. You will usually see fairly quickly whether the boys are happy being back together or whether there is an unresolved issue (grudge factor) in their relationship or whether they will do better as next door neighbours.

We have got a lot of detailed in-depth information on a wide range of behavioural aspects, which you may find helpful:
- Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics (a step-by-step guide through the full complex 2 weeks bonding process with lots of interactive behaviours for each stage explained)

- A - Z of Guinea Pig Behaviours (includes individual behaviours but also contains chapters on fear-aggression, dominance behaviour complexes as well as territorial behaviours (which I think I am the first to ever write about in their proper context; mostly they are misidentified or unknown))

- Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs

- " Biting" And What You Can Do (Biting, Tweaking, Nibbling and Nipping)

- Bonds In Trouble (incl. how to evaluate whether a bond is still viable or not)

Please make sure that you only have open hideys with at least 2 exits so no boy can be cornered anywhere in the cage. Most frontal bites are usually defensive ones from a piggy who doesn't see any other way out of a tight spot. It is an instinctive split second thing. Old traumas can have a long reach.; it can well be that your older boy may have a tendency to over-react instinctively whenever he feels pressured.
I’ve read your work pretty religiously, honestly!

A few days ago, I reintroduced them and things have been going fairly well, all things considered - they’re back together in their 6x2 without any hazardous hideys. It seems the script has flipped and the old boar is in charge - no humping, just chattering, lunging and chasing. He seems fine with the new boar as long as the new boar doesn’t sniff his butt, sniff his face, follow him around, or otherwise annoy him. If any of those things happen, there’s some chasing to be done. They’ve had a few nose-offs that got a bit intense, with the new boar rearing up once after getting fed up, but the old boar decided he didn’t actually want a problem.

The problem I’m having now is that the new boar is losing weight pretty steadily. It’s not because he’s being bullied - he eats veggies and pellets to his heart’s content - but rather that I believe his rear teeth to be overgrown. I’m guessing this dental disease may have been what caused his abscess in the first place, and not a bite wound at all.

I’m calling the vet in the morning, but I am extremely worried about separating them to go to the vet when they’ve made pretty good progress - especially if he has to stay there for any amount of time. Do you have any advice for how to make this go as smoothly as possible? I really don’t want to mess up their bonding, but he does need the medical attention.

I would try and keep them together, no separation.

The new boy is losing weight because he’s not eating hay. Pellets and veg only make up 20% of their diet so don’t contribute to weight loss.

Have you been topping him up? If not, please start. If you don’t have any critical care you can use mushed pellets. Try offering on a spoon, in a bowl or in a syringe. You will also need to weigh once daily so you can decide how to adjust his top up feeds. You’re aiming for 60ml in a 24 hour period for now.

Hope you can get him seen soon and he’s sorted out.

Not Eating, Weight Loss And The Importance Of Syringe Feeding Fibre
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

PS it takes two weeks for their hierarchy to be established. Have a read of the guide below and see where they sit in terms of behaviour - mainly the older boar.
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs

Hi

Glad that your boys obviously want to be together.

Please follow the advice in our new medicating and syringe feeding guide; it has a chapter on improvisation for emergencies and how to monitor the weight loss and adjust the level of support care accordingly. It also contains videos and pictures that show you how to go about things. Hay makes at least three quarters of what a piggy eats in a day but it is often the first food group that is impacted. It is that part of the diet you need to replace with your feeding support to stop the increasing weight loss. Your first aim is to adjust the feeding support as much as possible to stabilise the weight.
All About Syringe Feeding and Medicating Guinea Pigs with Videos and Pictures

Here are our tips for vet visits, travelling, in hot weather and - if needed - support care in the wake of a medical procedure:
Tips For Vet Visits (includes a chapter on companionship)
Travelling with guinea pigs (includes practical tips for weather extremes)
Tips For Post-operative Care

Hi

Glad that your boys obviously want to be together.

Please follow the advice in our new medicating and syringe feeding guide; it has a chapter on improvisation for emergencies and how to monitor the weight loss and adjust the level of support care accordingly. It also contains videos and pictures that show you how to go about things. Hay makes at least three quarters of what a piggy eats in a day but it is often the first food group that is impacted. It is that part of the diet you need to replace with your feeding support to stop the increasing weight loss. Your first aim is to adjust the feeding support as much as possible to stabilise the weight.
All About Syringe Feeding and Medicating Guinea Pigs with Videos and Pictures

Here are our tips for vet visits, travelling, in hot weather and - if needed - support care in the wake of a medical procedure:
Tips For Vet Visits (includes a chapter on companionship)
Travelling with guinea pigs (includes practical tips for weather extremes)
Tips For Post-operative Care
Thank you for the response! I’ll definitely keep them together for the trip.

Starting today, the new boar is getting Critical Care via syringe which he happily sucks down. He seems to be in good spirits and acting pretty normally, considering the weight he’s lost - his coat isn’t in the greatest shape, but he’s very interested in food and exploring their cage. He’s been a messy boy as long as I’ve had him - literally liquefying the romaine and green leaf lettuce that he so adores - so I’m wondering if his messiness with veggies was related to a dental issue all along.

Politics seem to have calmed down in their cage quite a bit - I haven’t seen any chattering between the two in over a day, they’ve been cuddling under the same blanket, and they both chatter their teeth whenever the other gets removed from the cage for any reason.

Unfortunately, the closest appointment I could get with a good vet is Monday at 1300 EST - 32 hours from now - and I work night shift tonight. I’m somewhat worried that he could decompensate in that time, but it’s the best anyone can do for him. Lots of Critical Care seems to be the best stopgap for the time being.

Thank you for the response! I’ll definitely keep them together for the trip.

Starting today, the new boar is getting Critical Care via syringe which he happily sucks down. He seems to be in good spirits and acting pretty normally, considering the weight he’s lost - his coat isn’t in the greatest shape, but he’s very interested in food and exploring their cage. He’s been a messy boy as long as I’ve had him - literally liquefying the romaine and green leaf lettuce that he so adores - so I’m wondering if his messiness with veggies was related to a dental issue all along.

Politics seem to have calmed down in their cage quite a bit - I haven’t seen any chattering between the two in over a day, they’ve been cuddling under the same blanket, and they both chatter their teeth whenever the other gets removed from the cage for any reason.

Unfortunately, the closest appointment I could get with a good vet is Monday at 1300 EST - 32 hours from now - and I work night shift tonight. I’m somewhat worried that he could decompensate in that time, but it’s the best anyone can do for him. Lots of Critical Care seems to be the best stopgap for the time being.

Keep syringe feeding. Try to see whether he is still able to eat the feed from a bowl, whioch would ease the pressure on you a bit (most will end up with the mate, though) but it is less work for you if he can eat as much as possible under his own steam.

Keep syringe feeding. Try to see whether he is still able to eat the feed from a bowl, whioch would ease the pressure on you a bit (most will end up with the mate, though) but it is less work for you if he can eat as much as possible under his own steam.
He returned to the vet two days ago, where the vet filed his teeth and noticed an abscess still present under his jaw. She drained it, prescribed pain meds, and gave him some SQ fluids - I’m almost certain normal saline, but I didn’t think to ask. Literally the second he got put back in the carrier, though, my old boar climbed on him in an attempt to burrow and squeezed a lot of the fluids out, haha.

He hasn’t lost any more weight, though he hasn’t gained any thus far. I noticed him eating more yesterday than he had been, so I’m hoping he’ll have gained some when I weigh him this morning. I’ve continued feeding Critical Care via syringe, as he enthusiastically sucks down anywhere from 12-18mL per sitting. My old boar is a big, chonky, powerlifting brute of a boar clocking in around 1200g so I don’t necessarily want him to get ahold of Critical Care, either!

Things seem to have calmed down on the battlefield, mostly. They seem like they’re pretty much bros now, and the younger boar appears to know that the old guy might be just a little bit crazy. If he thinks he’s about to be in the old boar’s way, he’ll sprint wherever he’s going or take an alternate path to avoid drawing his ire haha. The old boar HATES his butt being sniffed, though - as soon as he feels the younger boar’s nose touch his rear, he’ll whip around in a 180 and get all bent out of shape. This often ends in him chasing the new boar away, or chattering his teeth until the new boar decides he doesn’t have time for the big curmudgeon. Other than that, though, they’re pretty good! Their 6x2 has one panel left in the middle, where the divider used to be, and they seem to like it that way - they have full access to each side of the cage, but also something to break it up. It also seems like they use the half-divider as the battlegrounds for most of their arguments - they’ll each sit on one side of the divider, and the old boar will jump/lunge and squeak at the new guy. I can only assume this is just mild dominance behavior, but it sure is something else to watch. The most problems they’ve had in days, though, was when I cleaned their enclosure! The old man didn’t like that one bit, and it put him in a mood for awhile.

The old boar has started chattering his teeth at almost everything - me when I walk into the room, the new boar when he’s annoyed, his veggies in his bowl - but he’s very sociable and totally cool with me, so all I can imagine is that he’s a bit of a grump when his quiet/nap time gets disturbed! The new boar has picked up on this habit and pretty much completely follows the old codger’s lead when he starts chattering at whatever, even though he’s also pretty chill with me. Both have their chosen “spots” for lap time, where they’ll happily talk and go to sleep on my chest/shoulder, so we certainly don’t have any beef!

The only real question I have, for the time being, is in regards to the new boar’s coat - it’s in pretty rough shape. This is mostly, I believe, because he’s a messy eater - he has a white chin, and his chin is always stained green because of how emphatically he eats his veggies. I think he attempts to groom himself, and ends up spreading the veggie juice all over himself. Now that he’s getting Critical Care, this messiness is exacerbated. I’d like to help him clean off, but don’t want to mess up his scent - especially while he’s still bonding with the old boar. What would you recommend? Should I just let him he a crusty boy for the next couple weeks?

Thank you so much for your help, especially since this behavioral thread went on an unexpected medical sidebar!

He returned to the vet two days ago, where the vet filed his teeth and noticed an abscess still present under his jaw. She drained it, prescribed pain meds, and gave him some SQ fluids - I’m almost certain normal saline, but I didn’t think to ask. Literally the second he got put back in the carrier, though, my old boar climbed on him in an attempt to burrow and squeezed a lot of the fluids out, haha.

He hasn’t lost any more weight, though he hasn’t gained any thus far. I noticed him eating more yesterday than he had been, so I’m hoping he’ll have gained some when I weigh him this morning. I’ve continued feeding Critical Care via syringe, as he enthusiastically sucks down anywhere from 12-18mL per sitting. My old boar is a big, chonky, powerlifting brute of a boar clocking in around 1200g so I don’t necessarily want him to get ahold of Critical Care, either!

Things seem to have calmed down on the battlefield, mostly. They seem like they’re pretty much bros now, and the younger boar appears to know that the old guy might be just a little bit crazy. If he thinks he’s about to be in the old boar’s way, he’ll sprint wherever he’s going or take an alternate path to avoid drawing his ire haha. The old boar HATES his butt being sniffed, though - as soon as he feels the younger boar’s nose touch his rear, he’ll whip around in a 180 and get all bent out of shape. This often ends in him chasing the new boar away, or chattering his teeth until the new boar decides he doesn’t have time for the big curmudgeon. Other than that, though, they’re pretty good! Their 6x2 has one panel left in the middle, where the divider used to be, and they seem to like it that way - they have full access to each side of the cage, but also something to break it up. It also seems like they use the half-divider as the battlegrounds for most of their arguments - they’ll each sit on one side of the divider, and the old boar will jump/lunge and squeak at the new guy. I can only assume this is just mild dominance behavior, but it sure is something else to watch. The most problems they’ve had in days, though, was when I cleaned their enclosure! The old man didn’t like that one bit, and it put him in a mood for awhile.

The old boar has started chattering his teeth at almost everything - me when I walk into the room, the new boar when he’s annoyed, his veggies in his bowl - but he’s very sociable and totally cool with me, so all I can imagine is that he’s a bit of a grump when his quiet/nap time gets disturbed! The new boar has picked up on this habit and pretty much completely follows the old codger’s lead when he starts chattering at whatever, even though he’s also pretty chill with me. Both have their chosen “spots” for lap time, where they’ll happily talk and go to sleep on my chest/shoulder, so we certainly don’t have any beef!

The only real question I have, for the time being, is in regards to the new boar’s coat - it’s in pretty rough shape. This is mostly, I believe, because he’s a messy eater - he has a white chin, and his chin is always stained green because of how emphatically he eats his veggies. I think he attempts to groom himself, and ends up spreading the veggie juice all over himself. Now that he’s getting Critical Care, this messiness is exacerbated. I’d like to help him clean off, but don’t want to mess up his scent - especially while he’s still bonding with the old boar. What would you recommend? Should I just let him he a crusty boy for the next couple weeks?

Thank you so much for your help, especially since this behavioral thread went on an unexpected medical sidebar!

If your boy is very messy and doesn't clean himself off, then give him a gentle bath or wipe-over with a damp cloth to remove the worst of it. By now they are bonded enough that a bath won't upset things, as long as you are prepared for your boy to mess himself up immediately all over again.
Bathing (including cleaning grease glands)

Back