Strange behaviour is it normal?

LynnFin

New Born Pup
Reaction score
One of my guinea pigs, Lilly, is making a rumbling/purring sort of sound and moving in a strange slow way, wiggling her bottom and jumping. I've tried to film it but she stops as soon as I get close. My other guinea pig is staying out of her was and squeaking softly when she does it. Is this normal or should I be worried? If I can I will post a video...

One of my guinea pigs, Lilly, is making a rumbling/purring sort of sound and moving in a strange slow way, wiggling her bottom and jumping. I've tried to film it but she stops as soon as I get close. My other guinea pig is staying out of her was and squeaking softly when she does it. Is this normal or should I be worried? If I can I will post a video...

Hi and welcome

This behaviour is called rumble-strutting. It is a very common mild dominance behaviour that is exhibited by both genders but has different functions depending on the gender and situational context.

Outside of bonding/the post bonding group establishment weeks it is usually seen most commonly in sows in connection with a stronger season and, if continuous over weeks, together with other seasonal behaviours and sometimes (but not necessarily) with physical symptoms) it can indicate an active hormonal ovarian cyst in adult or older sows.

You may find these links here helpful:
A - Z of Guinea Pig Behaviours

Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)
When Sows Experience A Strong Season (videos)

One good link for bookmarking where you can find all the guide links in this thread and many more useful ones to learn what is normal and what not: Getting Started - Essential Information for New Owners

Back