• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Strange Behavior

• Thread starter Thread starter Bailey_272
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bailey_272

I was wondering if someone could help me. My g.p Chloe is behaving strange! She puts her head straight up in the air and shakes her entire body. The shaking resembles the kind of shaking they do to flict water off themselfs after bath time. Sometimes she even lifts her front paws of the grounf and is pretty much standing on her back paws while doing this. I know this behavior dont sound life treatening of anything but I dont want it to be a sign of illness and for me to ignor it.

She eats, poohs, drinks and pees normally. I have checked her fur no signs of parasites. I have checked for sores there isnt any to be seen. Around her rump there is dandruff, she do scratch a lot but she have always been like this. And she do shed a lot from the day I got her , which was a year ago. It dont come out in patches and rearly do it have dandruff attached. I shampooed her with t-get today to see if the dandruff disappears.

I also checked her ears. I see some yellow wax in them. Just wondering what is considered the normal amount of wax, if any? I have never cleaned her ears before. :(
I'm just very scared that this could be mites or ear mites.
Have anyone experienced his behavior before?
thanks
Jenna

I have never seen exactly what you describe,but some of my pigs will stand up on their hind legs and wave their hands when begging for food.

I think it is possible that there is a fungal infection.The T Gel may help.

The dandruff/scurf you describe could be fungal. Not sure about the T Gel as I have never personally used it but I do recommend visiting www.gorgeousguineas.com and emailing Chrissy with the symptoms you describe. She does a range of melts and shampoos especially forulated for piggies sensitive skins. One of mine had a fungal and I used coco neem melt left on for several hours and shampooed off with manuka and neem shampoo, once a week for 3 weeks which cleared it up beautifully, but Chrissy will advise, she is great :)

thanks for the advise, I went to that link and wrote an e-mail but I'm not sure if this is Chrissy's e-mail.
I have to try to get most my advise off the net before going to a vet because I find that vets here dont know a lot about guinea pigs and I really can't afford to bring her there too many times or to get much testing done. I live in Newfoundland Canada.

I use CocoNeem Melts on fungal pigs washed off with Manuka and Neem shampoo. I recently had a badly fungal rescue pig in that was treated with Melts and better in 3 wheeks. T Gel is stuffed with chemicals , it will dry the pigs skin out more after initial relief- most shampoos are like this.

[email protected] is Chrissie's email.

i used GG too when i got a pig with quite bad fungal. he was very sore and red, and i used microneem washed off with manuka and neem shampoo and it was cleared up within 2 weeks O0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back