Strange behavior bonding

Lunapxggies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Been trying to bond my 2 older pigs who are 8 and 3 (8 year old has not been a problem she likes the young girl) with my new piggie probably about 6 months old ! And she has been cuddling up to them and loving on them but my 3 year old pig hasn’t been a fan she has nipped and gone sfter her multiple times and i introduced them in a neutral, terrain and she seems to just go after her for no reason . She (young girl) has been sniffing at their butts and just trying to be close to the other pigs. Now i have them separate but next to Eatchother in their cages and she is just laying by the side next to the other pigs and it’s making me very sad and i do not know what else to do! (Attaching a photo of the young girl and my 3 year old when in the neutral environment)

Attachments

• IMG_6125.webp
    IMG_6125.webp
    112 KB · Views: 23
That picture makes me so sad. They’re a lot of experienced people in this forum. I hope you get some good advice soon.

Hang in there.

Nipping (which is a gesture of power and does not break the skin) and chasing are a normal part of bonding and forming a hierarchy. It is something they need to do and your 3 year old is making sure the 6 month old knows that she is bottom of the hierarchy, the 3 year old is in charge. On its own, its not a reason to stop the bonding and separate them.
If the bonding is clearly failing, fights and injuries were occurring, the nipping is causing blood to be drawn, then that does mean they are not compatible.

Otherwise, put them back on neutral territory with no hides to allow them to make up their minds about each other and form their hierarchy.
It takes two weeks for the while bonding process to be fully complete so seeing dominance behaviors is normal during that time.

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

I’m not an expert and have no advice to give you, but just wanted to ask. Is your baby guinea pig always that shiny? I don’t think I’ve ever seen one look that smooth but couldn’t work out if it was the picture!

Hi

Please do not separate. This is normal group establishment behaviour with putting a youngster emphatically at the bottom of the group. The worst of the dominance always comes from the piggy ranked just above who is making sure that their standing in the hierarchy is not challenged by the newcomer. Any piggies further up or down the hierarchy will not get involved at this stage.

Dominance behaviours like nipping or keeping the newbie at a distance are an integral part of the bonding process as the group is re-established from top to bottom in the later stages of the bonding process. The post-intro dominance phase lasts around 2 weeks; sadly still too many owners are not aware of it and its crucial role for the social cohesion. Especially youngsters are being kept a distance for a few days to engender respect for the private sphere of their elders. The dominance should settle down a little more with each passing day.

Re-introduce on neutral ground but acceptance should have happened. ;)

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics (see the last chapter)
Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts) (also includes a chapter on post-intro sow specific dominance)
A - Z of Guinea Pig Behaviours
" Biting" And What You Can Do (Biting, Tweaking, Nibbling and Nipping)

The youngster looks like a satin piggy. You can find further information links on satins and SGPS (Satin guinea pig syndrome) or satin disease in the relevant chapter of our breeds guide: What-breed-are-my-guinea-pigs-picture-guide-to-common-pet-breeds

Yes, best of luck. Guinea pigs don't conform to modern human social rules, their hierarchies can seem harsh to us, and their ways of pulling rank can look like bullying. But once they have found their place, they are truly happy knowing who's in charge and who has which role. That's how the group has the best chance of survival and reacts quickly in an emergency, so that's what makes them feel safe and happy.

Of course, bullying does exist in the world of guinea pigs, but that is probably not what's going on here. Let them sort it out according to their own ways, and they will very likely form a happy group in the end.

I’m not an expert and have no advice to give you, but just wanted to ask. Is your baby guinea pig always that shiny? I don’t think I’ve ever seen one look that smooth but couldn’t work out if it was the picture!
In the sun yes! Her fur is very VERY white!

thank you for letting me know about this i will be in contact with my vet

Back