storing hay

piggiemummy03x

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
is storing hay in a plastic box suitable? we’ve just bought a big bale of super hay and was thinking about the best way to store it.. i was thinking just pulling handfuls out the bale and putting them in 2 spare big plastic boxes loose so i can fluff it up, the boxes aren’t airtight but have a folding lid.

Only if it doesnt sweat in the box, presumably you’re keeping it in your shed.
You can buy bags designed to take a whole hay bale - available on Amazon
okay thanks, its in the piggie shed! thanks - was just seeing if we could use some boxes we already had!

I keep my hay in a plastic box, but there's no trapped moisture in it, and I keep the bin in a temperature controlled house, so humidity and condensation aren't concerns. A plastic bin can work, but it would depend on conditions if it would work well for you.

I keep my hay in a plastic box, but there's no trapped moisture in it, and I keep the bin in a temperature controlled house, so humidity and condensation aren't concerns. A plastic bin can work, but it would depend on conditions if it would work well for you.
ah i see, i keep all my current little bags of hay and sawdust etc in these same boxes i’m planning on using and haven’t noticed any sweating.. i was hoping because they aren’t air tight it wouldn’t be a problem!

ah i see, i keep all my current little bags of hay and sawdust etc in these same boxes i’m planning on using and haven’t noticed any sweating.. i was hoping because they aren’t air tight it wouldn’t be a problem!

It may well be ok but there would be nothing more infuriating than spending money on loads of hay to find it becomes unusual due to conditions that particular year. Sheds are hard enough to manage in summer without worrying about humidity in a plastic box and hay going mouldy as well!

It may well be ok but there would be nothing more infuriating than spending money on loads of hay to find it becomes unusual due to conditions that particular year. Sheds are hard enough to manage in summer without worrying about humidity in a plastic box and hay going mouldy as well!
of corse! going to purchase a hay bag when i’ve got the spare money just to be safe!

An old duvet cover works well for storing hay bales. I keep mine in cardboard boxes or a duvet cover and decant enough for a few days use into a laundry basket for keeping indoors. The small holes in the laundry basket lets the hay breath.

An old duvet cover works well for storing hay bales. I keep mine in cardboard boxes or a duvet cover and decant enough for a few days use into a laundry basket for keeping indoors. The small holes in the laundry basket lets the hay breath.
Great tip @piggieminder. I learn something new every day on the forum x

I don't have room for a bale but I get the large bags of compressed hay from P@H for bedding. I keep hay, nuggets and bedding pellets all in a black plastic dustbin outside. The temp does obviously vary wildly but we never see any condensation in the bin and smell is a great guide. When I inherited a bag of half-eaten hay from a neighbour who's last piggy had died it had been kept outside for a few days while everything was cleared out. By the time I got it there was a very strong and surprising smell of mushrooms! Obvs we didn't use it!

I don't have room for a bale but I get the large bags of compressed hay from P@H for bedding. I keep hay, nuggets and bedding pellets all in a black plastic dustbin outside. The temp does obviously vary wildly but we never see any condensation in the bin and smell is a great guide. When I inherited a bag of half-eaten hay from a neighbour who's last piggy had died it had been kept outside for a few days while everything was cleared out. By the time I got it there was a very strong and surprising smell of mushrooms! Obvs we didn't use it!
okay thanks! oh yeah not good!

Back