• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Stool question

• Thread starter Thread starter ksiusha237
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

ksiusha237

Hello everyone,
My guinea pig Shura will be 4 in March. He eats like a monster and is energetic, however now and then he has a bit of trouble pooping. Not an emergency, but sometimes a piece will be stuck or sometimes it is too soft. Also sometimes two pieces will come out at a time. He has left me his pile of droppings in his corner as usual, which all look normal and healthy I was just wondering if it is normal to get a piece stuck now and then and about two droppings coming out at once?

They say the white milk from the eye is normal, however I have had Shura from 2-3 months and he has never had this.

Thank you,
Ksiusha
Shura + Hriusha

Hi love, i'm sure the lovely people with more experience will be along a bit later to help you :)
From my experience with our two boys this is quite normal, even now our boy who is nearly 6 years old does exactly the same thing. Sometimes i get pile of them all joined up and other times heaps of them but separated. I also find at times i will pick him up and find one or two just about to pop out, and they come out together i'm pretty sure there's a correct name for the different types of faeces that they produce. I think that as long as they're not too hard and small or very soft and runny that all should be OK O0

sounds like he is slightly impacted which is very common in older boars.

My boy Bubble got very impacted when he was about 6 and I had to help empty him out everyday, this is a bit smelly but very easy to do, you gently open his bottom so the poo can all come out, it falls out very easily and then I used to give him a little clean up with baby wipes.

Just keep a close eye on him it may be you need to help him out occasionally

Good Luck

Sounds like his muscles are getting a bit 'slack', feed him lots of hay, it won't help his muscles but will help keep things moving.

Keep an eye on him to make sure he doesn't get impacted (or maybe he is?). This need to be removed and fed back to guinea as it contains vitamin that they need. If he doesn't eat it then its not the soft pellets doing this but they quite happily take the soft ones, you may have seen him do it himself.

This is good it is nothing serious. It fits the description, sometimes I have to help him sometimes. He eats lots of hay and his pellets which is good. As he gets older, will this become more serious? Or worse? Or is this fine?

Ksiusha

it may get worse as he gets older just keep helping him thats all he will need :) :)

I understand. I'm glad it is nothing serious.

What does it mean two pieces coming out at once?

ksiusha237 said:
I understand. I'm glad it is nothing serious.

What does it mean two pieces coming out at once?

Were they joined together like sausages? If so i "think" this is constipation in piggies :-\

No, they were both individual shaped normal as the rest are, just this time instead of one there was two next to each other.

It is normal for gps to pass a lot of pellets .Sometimes they will have 2 or 3 or more coming out at the same time.It is also normal for them to pass just one at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back