Stinky blanket in a bag.

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 151640
  • Start date Start date
D

Deleted member 151640

Please excuse me for this is going to be a bit grim, in more ways than one.

My 5 year old boar, Digby, had a dental appointment two weeks ago which resulted in him getting a terminal diagnosis because his back teeth are a mess.
He was taken home with a little blue blanket from the vet, which he sat in when he was recovering from his GA and I have left in their cage to snuggle with (or rub their butts against) since.

My boys health is declining and has been over the past couple of days, I am likely going to phone the vets tomorrow to make an pts appointment.
My question is, I don’t doubt the blanket is stinky enough as I just changed their cage and they’ve both gone and sniffed it then proceeded to drag their bottoms all over it. But what I am wondering is that if I hold digby for about ten minutes, he isn’t scared to poo and pee all over me.

Would allowing it and then putting the blanket in a bag to hold the scent, to then give to his wee friend once he is gone a decent idea?
Thinking about it now I imagine it might get damp, so I am wondering if I just hold him in it for a good while and perhaps strangely dragging his bits on it will be comforting for his friend, or would it upset him or maybe even do nothing at all.
Then putting it in the bag to contain any scent on it.

I will be taking my boys body home after his appointment as his friend deserves a chance to say goodbye, and although I know generally they know when a pig is dying, he is fine in himself apart from the ongoing issues with the teeth.
Basically I don’t believe he would be releasing the same pheromones or vibes or whatever signals to many animals what is happening.

Please excuse me for this is going to be a bit grim, in more ways than one.

My 5 year old boar, Digby, had a dental appointment two weeks ago which resulted in him getting a terminal diagnosis because his back teeth are a mess.
He was taken home with a little blue blanket from the vet, which he sat in when he was recovering from his GA and I have left in their cage to snuggle with (or rub their butts against) since.

My boys health is declining and has been over the past couple of days, I am likely going to phone the vets tomorrow to make an pts appointment.
My question is, I don’t doubt the blanket is stinky enough as I just changed their cage and they’ve both gone and sniffed it then proceeded to drag their bottoms all over it. But what I am wondering is that if I hold digby for about ten minutes, he isn’t scared to poo and pee all over me.

Would allowing it and then putting the blanket in a bag to hold the scent, to then give to his wee friend once he is gone a decent idea?
Thinking about it now I imagine it might get damp, so I am wondering if I just hold him in it for a good while and perhaps strangely dragging his bits on it will be comforting for his friend, or would it upset him or maybe even do nothing at all.
Then putting it in the bag to contain any scent on it.

I will be taking my boys body home after his appointment as his friend deserves a chance to say goodbye, and although I know generally they know when a pig is dying, he is fine in himself apart from the ongoing issues with the teeth.
Basically I don’t believe he would be releasing the same pheromones or vibes or whatever signals to many animals what is happening.

Having a cosy or rag smelling of the lost companion can be a great comfort and consolation for some remaining companions. You can always ask the vet nurses whether they are prepared to do that for you. All they can say is no.
Please be aware that bereaved companions can react very differently; some just carry on as if nothing has happened so please don't be disappointed if the smelly blanket is not used as you imagine. You provide the option, which is a lovely gesture. ;)

Having a cosy or rag smelling of the lost companion can be a great comfort and consolation for some remaining companions. You can always ask the vet nurses whether they are prepared to do that for you. All they can say is no.
Please be aware that bereaved companions can react very differently; some just carry on as if nothing has happened so please don't be disappointed if the smelly blanket is not used as you imagine. You provide the option, which is a lovely gesture. ;)
I have changed their cage earlier than usual to hopefully smooth that transition period/grief time for my boy.

I will definitely make sure that blanket is smelling like his friend to give to him the days after his loss.
Would making a couple to spread out over like a week or so be potentially harmful for my left boy, as I want him to have that aid of his smell but don't want to confuse him or overdo it. I think maybe I will just do the one.
I have no expectations, I just want it to be there for him if he wants, but I do definitely see how people could hope their bereaved pig will snuggle with it or something like that.

I will definitely make sure that blanket is smelling like his friend to give to him the days after his loss.
Would making a couple to spread out over like a week or so be potentially harmful for my left boy, as I want him to have that aid of his smell but don't want to confuse him or overdo it. I think maybe I will just do the one.
I have no expectations, I just want it to be there for him if he wants, but I do definitely see how people could hope their bereaved pig will snuggle with it or something like that.

One blanket is enough to allow the scent to gradually fade over the course of several days. Most piggies mourn for about 4 days before the need to survive and to get on with their own lives takes over. Some piggies just carry on and a few very closely bonded and emotionally very dependent piggies will struggle for longer and more visibly.

Your companion is fully aware that his friend is not well.

One blanket is enough to allow the scent to gradually fade over the course of several days. Most piggies mourn for about 4 days before the need to survive and to get on with their own lives takes over. Some piggies just carry on and a few very closely bonded and emotionally very dependent piggies will struggle for longer and more visibly.

Your companion is fully aware that his friend is not well.
I'm glad to hear he at least knows somewhat what is going on, it is my first time ever having to do this for a piggy and I'm such a baby haha.
My boy being left behind is also a nervous pig, and runs around after Digby like he is his hero, so I am definitely trying my best to take the steps to make this easier for him.

Back