• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Still itching after Stronghold

PapaTa

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hallo everyone!
,Τα γουρουνάκια μου έχουν ακάρεα! Πήγαμε στις 13 Σεπτεμβρίου στον κτηνίατρο και διέγνωσε ακάρεα.
He gave us Stronghold and he told me that we will apply again in 15 days.
It's been a week now , but they are still itching themselves.
Not sssooo much like before but they do!
I can't see them like this.
I think they suffer.
The male is losing hair.
What can I do?

Thank you

Hallo everyone!
,Τα γουρουνάκια μου έχουν ακάρεα! Πήγαμε στις 13 Σεπτεμβρίου στον κτηνίατρο και διέγνωσε ακάρεα.
He gave us Stronghold and he told me that we will apply again in 15 days.
It's been a week now , but they are still itching themselves.
Not sssooo much like before but they do!
I can't see them like this.
I think they suffer.
The male is losing hair.
What can I do?

Thank you

Hi

The itching can take more than one application of Stronghold to get rid of.

Is the itching still as bad as at the start, is it stronger or is it a bit less?

The itching will also get worse again as the active ingredient starts wearing off slowly during the second half of the interval. Because selamectin and ivermectin can cause major damage when they are overdosed, they need to wear off completely before more can be given. The second application should get any itching really down within 2 days of application and the third application should catch any late mites emerging from the eggs. In severe cases, a fourth application may be needed. What the medication cannot do is kill the eggs.

Please do not bathe your guinea pigs; this can cause fitting, which can damage the heart. It is very tough to sit by and be unable to do anything. But at least we now have medication against mites. Before that, mites meant a slow and agonising death for any pet or farm animal affected. :(

If you have concerns, please give your vet a call. Please accept that we cannot comment sight unseen and without acess to your guinea pigs.

Minor hair loss in a smaller area is normal for mange mites. We only talk about a severe outbreak if it affects a significant or the larger part of the body and comes with big open sores.
Any hairs should grow back after the successful end of treatment and that is when it is also safe you give your piggies a gentle bath to remove all the debris and dead skin from the mites infestation.

You have my sympathies.

Back