• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

still fertile for how long?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I have had one of my male pigs neutered. How long should i leave it before i put a female in with him? How long are they still fertile for after the op?

I met a (incredibly handsome, gorgeous, young ::)) MALE vet the other day! ;) and I was asking him a few questions not trying to look like a complete geek - because this was not an appointment it was social - & he said that 1 week is border line. He really did seem to know his stuff about Guineas though - oh how perfect does he sound :-*

Just like to mention that some of the rescue people who come on here leave it for 2 weeks & have never had any problems. My boy was already neutered when I got him thank god.
Back to the vet (!) he said that for the best results he uses dissolvable stitches internally & a kind of body glue for the external because he's found that guineas skin doesn't take kindly to foreign bodies in the skin & since using the glue method he has never had any probs. He said that he routinely gives out probiotics with any post op on a piggy. I guess I will be taking my baby boys to him when the time comes.

hils78 said:
Just like to mention that some of the rescue people who come on here leave it for 2 weeks & have never had any problems. My boy was already neutered when I got him thank god.
Back to the vet (!) he said that for the best results he uses dissolvable stitches internally & a kind of body glue for the external because he's found that guineas skin doesn't take kindly to foreign bodies in the skin & since using the glue method he has never had any probs. He said that he routinely gives out probiotics with any post op on a piggy. I guess I will be taking my baby boys to him when the time comes.

I have always waited 3 weeks and will always do so as I've never had any problems following this time scale :)
Speak to differrent vets and you'll get differrent guidelines ::)

I think the body glue is a good move, the last guinea spay was "glued" rather than "stitched" and she did really well. He sounds a very good vet Hilary....did you get his pohone number ;)

Barbara

hils78 said:
I met a (incredibly handsome, gorgeous, young ::)) MALE vet the other day! ;) and I was asking him a few questions not trying to look like a complete geek - because this was not an appointment it was social - & he said that 1 week is border line. He really did seem to know his stuff about Guineas though - oh how perfect does he sound :-*

Ooh lucky you. We had a dishy vet where we used to go. You must tell more! :D

I wouldn't do 1 week - 2 if I really needed the space. 3 ideally. I think it was Karen from Sprowston who uses the 2 week gap.
The vet in question works at Davidsons vets in Nottingham. I'm just counting the days till I can have one of the newborn boars neutered...anyone lend me a few finger & toes?!

hils78 said:
I wouldn't do 1 week - 2 if I really needed the space. 3 ideally. I think it was Karen from Sprowston who uses the 2 week gap.
The vet in question works at Davidsons vets in Nottingham. I'm just counting the days till I can have one of the newborn boars neutered...anyone lend me a few finger & toes?!

ohhh we need to change vets,my dad used him years ago but lost his dog there and put us off,after Ambivet messed up we might go there

hils78 said:

The big question is... was he single? ;) ;D

IF HE SINGLE:

gone on hills why you got the chance ;D i have my own little way.
be friends, then be good friends, and they he fancies you! :)
it takes about 6 months, so i spend 6 months, madly crushing on sum lad! :D

I have no way of getting hold of him other than going in to the vets. He wan't wearing a wedding ring though! I may splash out for the 2 pigs Pumpkinpiggie is fostering to be neutered just to cop a look - or have them done 2 weeks apart - then more time at the vets.....! if only, I bet there are millions of me having strangely ill animals with no symptoms going in to see him ;D

I leave mine for at least two wheeks as recommended by Vedra at CCT. My vet always says 4 weeks to be clinically sure (though there's bound to have been an exception somewomewhere ::)

I have 3 boys here that were done 6 weeks ago and are still living with boars but eventually they will go and live with sows.

Karen (from RGPR) its Cheryl from Sprowston but I don't mind being confused with her I think we think along the same lines ;D

karenrgpr said:
Karen (from RGPR) its Cheryl from Sprowston but I don't mind being confused with her I think we think along the same lines ;D
Sorry :-[ I'm really bad at the C & K names, can never get them to stick to the right people! Also really bad with 3 letter names like Lee & Ian.

Ok so them poor boys have got to go through an op so you can see the dishy vet mmmmmmmmmm you can take Rimmer too, That way you might get a discount for multiple piggies having the snip.
Wiggy and Rusty get along so well together they love popcorning when they have floor time. They are always snuggled up together too they do love each other. If someone wanted a bonded pair of boars these two would be ideal. They are not very happy near young children though. Any sudden noise panicks them more than it would my piggies. They are lovely looking and I wish I could keep them, I have been looking at a triple hutch for the shed to house them all in too. Think my husband would have a fit if he knew the reason why I made him take all the junk out the shed to the tip today. I even suggested buying a little tool shed for the mower and gardening tools to give me more room and the daft devil did not twig on what I meant. He said thats a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back