Sticky Coat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hurlamaboc

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have a female guinea pig who is a year old. She often gets sticky patches on her fur on her sides around her neck and shoulders which don't come off when she washes herself. She shares a cage with another femal guinea pig who is the same age but doesn't get sticky patches at all. The cage is cleaned every 3 days yet she continues to have the stickiness. She doesn't like to be bathed so how else can I clean her?

:wel: to the forum!
It sounds like the other female piggie may be trying to mount the first one and is getting wee on her coat. What are their names? Has this been going on for long? Mounting is a dominance behaviour. Your girls are just sorting out their hierarchy. It is nothing to worry about, unless they start fighting. You could try to wash her coat just using a wet flannel. You must make sure that her coat is completely dry before you put her back in the cage. Hope this helps.

You could try using a baby wipe instead? Do you know what is causing the sticky patches?

:wel: to the forum!
It sounds like the other female piggie may be trying to mount the first one and is getting wee on her coat. What are their names? Has this been going on for long? Mounting is a dominance behaviour. Your girls are just sorting out their hierarchy. It is nothing to worry about, unless they start fighting. You could try to wash her coat just using a wet flannel. You must make sure that her coat is completely dry before you put her back in the cage. Hope this helps.
Thank you for the advice! They're names are Jersey and Bailey. Also in not sure how long it's been happening, I haven't kept track but it just appears and then goes. It's quite bad at the moment so I just wanted to see if it was something else, if there was something wrong. But I'm happy to know now that it's nothing serious! Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back