Steam Cleaning Fleece Before Washing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sian25

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Okay so my boys have had ziggys fleece liners for a few weeks now. Before the liners I just used fleece that I used to wash on a hot wash but ziggy recommends not to wash her liners in temperatures over 40 degrees. I have been washed them a few times at 60 degrees in the hope that they don't ruin and other times I've been using anti bac washing detergent.

I have just ordered a steam mop that has a carpet glider attachment. I'm new to steam cleaners so don't know much about them. I was wondering whether the liners could be steam cleaned before put on a 40 degree wash? I'm just curious to know whether this will kill the germs and whether it could damage the liners?

If you've already washed them on a 60 degree wash , you might as well continue.

I must confess , I wash my fleeces on 60 degrees . I find this is the best way to ensure all the germs are killed .

I'm not sure what advantage you'd get using a steam cleaner as, surely, it's tte heat of the steam that kills the germs ?

Yes @PiggyOwner it's the heat of the steam that kills the germs. Do you think this would have the same effect on the liners as washing at a high temperature? I'm happy to wash the liners at 60 degrees if it won't damage them over time but they're quite expensive and I don't really want to ruin them

you could allways add a sanatizing tablet to the wash, l use Virkon S Tablets

i wash liners at 40 but fill the fabric softener drawer with white vinegar. you can also add a cap full with the powder/liquid to help it work better. the white vinegar is anti-bacterial and also good for smells, and pet safe :)

Yes @PiggyOwner it's the heat of the steam that kills the germs. Do you think this would have the same effect on the liners as washing at a high temperature? I'm happy to wash the liners at 60 degrees if it won't damage them over time but they're quite expensive and I don't really want to ruin them
I think any damage would have been done on the 1st wash at 60

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back