• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Static Lice

Mel&Caramel

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi!

Recently discovered my two girls have static Lice, I already gave them some treatment for it but now I'm a bit unsure about the hay.

I have half a bag of hay left and feel kind of sad of having to throw that bag away, I'm not really to sure if they came from that bag as I already have it open for a few weeks, and from my understanding my guinea pigs are still in a mild at most stage of having the static mites since they are not itching much and they don't have any bald patches and I can only find them on my white guinea pig but not on my brown guinea pig. So my questions are, what should I do with the hay, are there any suggestions for what to look out for in the hay that might be a giveaway of hay mites, and can hay mites come in treat products made of hay? Recently got them one of those which weirdly enough they haven't been enjoying it as much as they usually do and is the most recent thing with hay that I got, I always thought they didn't enjoy it because of the flavour but now I'm thinking it was because of the mites.

Not sure if it makes any difference but my hay is a bit local, in a city not to far from where I buy it

Static mites is an outdated term. They are called hay mites now.

They come in with hay so yes please do get rid of the hay.
They are more of an annoyance. They fix their eggs to the hair shaft.

There is nothing you can look for - hay mites are invisible to the human eye so you’ll never see whether they are in there or not.

Was the treatment prescribed by a vet?
The correct treatment is a course of three doses with two weeks between each dose. Doses are gauged by their weight.
Pet shop mite treatments are too low dosed to be effective and aren’t recommended. They may suppress but are unlikely to properly cure and then a recurrence may happen.

New Guinea Pig Problems: Sexing & Pregnancy; URI, Ringworm & Parasites; Vet Checks & Customer Rights

Back