Static lice (hay mites)

jac13

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So yesterday was cutting my girls nails notice black dots on both of them mostly round the bum after googling believe these could be hay mites they a are on wood shavings. Do I need to treat these and if so how best do I treat them please such conflicting information they don't seem to be annoying them

Static lice is an outdated term - they are just called hay mites.

You will need to see your vet for diagnosis and to be given the correct, weight adjusted, treatment of ivermectin in the correct length course. That is three treatments with two weeks between each treatment to fully catch the life cycle of the mites.

Please do not be tempted to use a pet shop anti parasite treatment on spec. Such treatments are low dosed and not recommend - they are unlikely to properly treat the issue and instead may only suppress meaning the mites come back. Low dosed products also contribute to resistance forming.

The guide below explains about throwing hay away and cleaning the cage

Static lice is an outdated term - they are just called hay mites.

You will need to see your vet for diagnosis and to be given the correct, weight adjusted, treatment of ivermectin in the correct length course. That is three treatments with two weeks between each treatment to fully catch the life cycle of the mites.

Please do not be tempted to use a pet shop anti parasite treatment on spec. Such treatments are low dosed and not recommend - they are unlikely to properly treat the issue and instead may only suppress meaning the mites come back. Low dosed products also contribute to resistance forming.

The guide below explains about throwing hay away and cleaning the cage

Great thank you so much

Back