• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Static/hay mites and long haired guinea pigs

Rainbowbright

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello, We recently rehomed two long hair guinea pigs but have not introduced them to the rest of our herd yet as we noticed static/hay mites in their fur. They are both mostly white so it is noticeable. I relate to people describing it looking like someone has sprinkled pepper on them.
We have used 'special' shampoo to try to help, we have used a supposed preventative and have now been to a vet. The vet didn't think we should worry and 'treated' them with 'Xeno' and gave us some to take home to use in 2/3 weeks.
The first dose does not seem to have made any difference.
Any tips would be very much appreciated.
Thank you for taking the time to read this post.

Hay mites are annoying but are the least concerning parasite.

Mites need to be treated with three separate treatments of Xeno (the number of pipettes based on the piggies weight) each one two weeks apart (so six weeks to fully treat the issue). The first dose kills the live mites but does not kill the eggs. The second treatment kills those eggs which by that time will have hatched and the third dose makes sure everything is gone.

The treatment will just need some time to work but, provided you’ve been given the right dosage, will work!

Shampoos and preventative treatments, as you have found, don’t work. The preventatives are too low dosed to cure an active infestation and we don’t recommend using a preventative to prevent them in any event (using them can lead to resistance forming so when you do have an outbreak the correct treatment can be less effective)

New Guinea Pig Problems: Sexing & Pregnancy; URI, Ringworm & Parasites; Vet Checks & Customer Rights

I am currently treating my elderly rabbit with Xeno for mites and he received his second dose yesterday (so he started treatment two weeks ago)

Hay mites are annoying but are the least concerning parasite.

Mites need to be treated with three separate treatments of Xeno (the number of pipettes based on the piggies weight) each one two weeks apart (so six weeks to fully treat the issue). The first dose kills the live mites but does not kill the eggs. The second treatment kills those eggs which by that time will have hatched and the third dose makes sure everything is gone.

The treatment will just need some time to work but, provided you’ve been given the right dosage, will work!

Shampoos and preventative treatments, as you have found, don’t work. The preventatives are too low dosed to cure an active infestation and we don’t recommend using a preventative to prevent them in any event (using them can lead to resistance forming so when you do have an outbreak the correct treatment can be less effective)

New Guinea Pig Problems: Sexing & Pregnancy; URI, Ringworm & Parasites; Vet Checks & Customer Rights

I am currently treating my elderly rabbit with Xeno for mites and he received his second dose yesterday (so he started treatment two weeks ago)
Hello, Thank you so much for your reply. Yes we have a certain number of drops according to our piggies weight. It is coming up to 2 weeks so we were planning to use the second dose. I will ask the vet re. a third dose for two weeks time. Can you still see any of the eggs after 3 doses or would it still be the mites that are visible? We haven't found a comb fine enough that helps comb the eggs out. I wish your rabbit well with his treatment. Thank you again.

Mites themselves are not visible, only the egg casings are.
The guide I linked in explains further, but a short haircut may be needed for your piggies.

Back