• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Starving?

• Thread starter Thread starter Racheylcg
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Racheylcg

Sorry, I know I already posted tonight, and you must all be getting sick of me, but this is quite worrying. I just got milly out, and she was wheeking really, really loudly and crawling around my lap. First I checked for all the usual things to make sure she wasnt in pain, and when I got round to checking her mouth I gave her a shred of lettuce. It literally disapeared before my eyes, so I gave her a small handful, which disparpeared at the same speed. I dont think she was being greedy, as I'd fed them quite a lot just an hour before. I then left Milly with a big pile of lettuce, and gave Trixy some. She ate it at normal speed, and left a bit. I think Trixy is taking all the food. I dont really know how deal with it, because separation just isnt an option. Hopefully, in the summer when they move into their new run with a cage on top, they'll both get more veg, but can anyone think of a solution till then?

Do you put food in a bowl or scatter it around?

You should try scattering it round really well (so literally food at each end of the cage) so they can eat without being in eachothers way ;) You can also try hand feeding her a bit if you feel she's still not getting enough :)

You could try two bowls. I've heard that suggested before.
Good luck. O0

I scatter veg, and I used to use two bowls but they never ate out of the new one so I removed it. I could try handfeeding, but it takes quite a lot of time and they're used to the food in the morning, when I dont have time to handfeed it.

You could try seperating them just while they are having veggies.

Not too much lettuce as it has no nutritional value.

I had this with two of my boars. I've got one adequately name Fatty Pig and he used to steal all the food from all fours other pigs! When I had the time in the eve I fed them separately at the start, and after Fatty finished eating I would take him away and feed the rest. I sort of separated them with different food piles until the others were more brave to not let him steal it. I' fortunate as i've got a multi-floor cage. Is there any way you can create slightly separate areas in their cage?

When you feed the veggie meals,just put one of them into a box or other safe place so he can eat his veg in peace.

spitcher88 said:
I had this with two of my boars. I've got one adequately name Fatty Pig and he used to steal all the food from all fours other pigs! When I had the time in the eve I fed them separately at the start, and after Fatty finished eating I would take him away and feed the rest. I sort of separated them with different food piles until the others were more brave to not let him steal it. I' fortunate as i've got a multi-floor cage. Is there any way you can create slightly separate areas in their cage?
I guess I could move the tunnel and the bridge to make two sections but they'd keep rearranging them ::)
Its more of a time issue
Cant believe I didnt think of a hutch on a run THIS summer, now I have to wait until next spring.
I suppose at the speed Milly eats, I could get handfeeding over in 2 seconds flat :)

maryh said:
When you feed the veggie meals,just put one of them into a box or other safe place so he can eat his veg in peace.
Thanks thats a good idea I'll try that tommorow :)

Racheylcg said:
I suppose at the speed Milly eats, I could get handfeeding over in 2 seconds flat :)

Yeah that might be a cool idea as well :) Get to spend some 'quality' time with Milly ;D

I had this problem with a sow a few months back....I would suggest 2 bowls most definately, but you might want to handfeed her a little bit everyday so you can set your mind at rest she is eating...

Either that, or seperate them when you feed them and put them back together when done O0

Also, I would start weighing regularly incase it happens again, and you can catch it early O0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back