• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Start of a cataract? (with pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Mike, my hubby, says that sometimes when he looks at Guinea in a certain light his right eye seems white and cloudy. I have yet to see it, but hubby is certain :)

Is it possibly the start of a cataract or Mike seeing things? :)

Re: Start of a cataract?

It could be, I'm not fully sure as I've never had a pig with cataracts.

Here's a bit of info
http://www.oginet.com/pgurney/cataracts.htm

As it says, piggies cope perfectly well with them. They have poor eyesight to start with and don't rely on their eyesight very much because of this so cope well enough without it :)

Kat

Am a tad confused though... it says about about age, yet Guinea is just over 1 now and his darling Uncle Ton is almost 7 with perfect-ish eyesight

Poor Guinea!

Lots of love and kisses to him xx

Aww thanx :-* :-*

I can see it now and have taken a photo. Waiting for it to be uploaded then will add it :)

Here we go! :)

guineye1.jpg

guineye2.jpg

Looks like a cataract to me Kelly.

I've known pigs of all ages with them. Never seems to bother them luckily. I'm sure Guinea will be fine!

Darling Guinea, you're still as handsome and beautiful as always. I hope your postal romance with Rocky is still on.

Peter Gurney says guineas can still see with cataracts and it does not bother them.

Give Guinea lots of kisses from all of us, especially Rocky xx

Lucinda and Caroline xx

looks like one to me too Kelly

one of my old girls lived till she was 10 with a pair of them she was fine

I just made sure that I never moved her bowl, bottle etc she was fine

karen

Looks like one to me as well. The other eye will most likely develop one as well at some point :(. I have a degu with cataracts and he is coping fine and degu's use their eyesight a lot more than piggies do.

Kat

Aww thanx all. I see it all the time and it gets more noticeable. Wont be planning on changing anything in their hutch - he will always have his Uncle Ton to keep him on the straight and narrow! LOL

Ideas on when it will be a 'full blown' one as so far it's gone pretty quick. And the other too :(

Everywhere I've read has said that age plays a big part - how come Ton's eyes are ok?

Lucinda said:
Darling Guinea, you're still as handsome and beautiful as always. I hope your postal romance with Rocky is still on.

Peter Gurney says guineas can still see with cataracts and it does not bother them.

Give Guinea lots of kisses from all of us, especially Rocky xx

Lucinda and Caroline xx

Of course it's all on ;) Guinea's very chuffed in having a 'boy'friend only Uncle Ton says he smells different! :D

How will Guinea do his cooking? Will he be instructing Uncle Ton? I see chaos ahead . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back