• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Stability

Popps&Dais

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello,

Please may I ask for advice? Our guinea pig has twice (that we’ve seen) flipped onto her back and then was unable to right herself. Luckily we were here both times. The minute she’s up again she’s bright as a button. She is over 7.

Has anyone else experienced this and what might we need to do to help her? Both times I think she got spooked (possibly by her pal) and turned too quickly and flipped. She is slower and a bit less steady than she used to be but can put on speed when she needs to.

Any advice would be wonderful.

Hello,

Please may I ask for advice? Our guinea pig has twice (that we’ve seen) flipped onto her back and then was unable to right herself. Luckily we were here both times. The minute she’s up again she’s bright as a button. She is over 7.

Has anyone else experienced this and what might we need to do to help her? Both times I think she got spooked (possibly by her pal) and turned too quickly and flipped. She is slower and a bit less steady than she used to be but can put on speed when she needs to.

Any advice would be wonderful.

Hi

Have you had her vet checked for arthritis? I have seen this with my oldies who were rather stiff if they lost their footing and were unable to compensate.

Hi

Have you had her vet checked for arthritis? I have seen this with my oldies who were rather stiff if they lost their footing and were unable to compensate.
Thank you, that’s a good call, I will check in with them. They checked a few months back and felt her joints etc were good. She does sort of bunny hop around sometimes and has less mobility possibly due to cysts (vet checked and we’re monitoring). What did you do for your oldies to keep an eye on them and help reduce the flipping? There’s normally one of us around and I think she probably can right herself but I’m worried she might be stuck waiting on us.

She recently lost her sister and it’s now we can see just how the two of them supported each other.

Thank you, that’s a good call, I will check in with them. They checked a few months back and felt her joints etc were good. She does sort of bunny hop around sometimes and has less mobility possibly due to cysts (vet checked and we’re monitoring). What did you do for your oldies to keep an eye on them and help reduce the flipping? There’s normally one of us around and I think she probably can right herself but I’m worried she might be stuck waiting on us.

She recently lost her sister and it’s now we can see just how the two of them supported each other.

Have your vets checked her spine? If that is stiff, then balancing and righting is becoming more difficult. Stumbling and falling over can have other physical causes as the body ages. Some oldies are just more prone to it and you need to keep a closer eye on them.

Have your vets checked her spine? If that is stiff, then balancing and righting is becoming more difficult. Stumbling and falling over can have other physical causes as the body ages. Some oldies are just more prone to it and you need to keep a closer eye on them.
Nope, I’m pretty sure it was just her hips and legs. Will give them a call and defo keep a closer eye on her through the day. Fingers crossed we’re ok overnight as she likes to stay cosy in one corner with her food and water nearby.

Thanks so much for your help. Older piggies is another learning curve and I’m grateful to you for sharing your experience.

Red (6.5) has done this a few times, poor boy has arthritis in his hips and spine. Like your girl he still quite speedy when he wants to be, I think it's the turns at speed that topple him. I've also seen him go over once when he reached to scratch a high itch. Getting old is no fun whether you have 4 legs or 2!

Red (6.5) has done this a few times, poor boy has arthritis in his hips and spine. Like your girl he still quite speedy when he wants to be, I think it's the turns at speed that topple him. I've also seen him go over once when he reached to scratch a high itch. Getting old is no fun whether you have 4 legs or 2!
Oh bless. Thank you so much for sharing about Red and his turns at speed. I’m sure that’s what is happening with Poppy as she can manage slower ambling.

Nope, I’m pretty sure it was just her hips and legs. Will give them a call and defo keep a closer eye on her through the day. Fingers crossed we’re ok overnight as she likes to stay cosy in one corner with her food and water nearby.

Thanks so much for your help. Older piggies is another learning curve and I’m grateful to you for sharing your experience.

Bad hips can cause topples, especially when an oldie tries to scratch themselves or when they turn too quickly. Straight forward is not a problem; at the worst they land on her belly and they can usually still go at a fair speed. It is just when the balance and the centre of their body is to the side and the hip/leg can no longer compensate, it can get iffy.

I would strongly recommend to see your vet for long-term metacam if she isn't on it yet and also supplement daily with Johnson's 4joints extra strength dog liquid (100ml), which you can get online or in a pet shop.
Glucosamine is classed as a food supplement and not as a medication so your vet won't have it in stock or will prescribe it. The combination can make a real difference. The liquid is much easier to dose and syringe.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Johnsons-Vet-Joints-Mobility-Liquid/dp/B003BOFZW0

My tiny old lady Begw was getting pretty wobbly with several topples towards the end of last year but hasn't had a single fall this year and is getting around much better again. She is not my only arthritic oldie at the moment.

I can also recommend the Johnson's 4 Joints, I've 2 on it at he moment. Red's off to the vet in a minute for his 6 month health check, fingers crossed he does okay.

Bad hips can cause topples, especially when an oldie tries to scratch themselves or when they turn too quickly. Straight forward is not a problem; at the worst they land on her belly and they can usually still go at a fair speed. It is just when the balance and the centre of their body is to the side and the hip/leg can no longer adjust well when it gets iffy.

I would strongly recommend to see your vet for long-term metacam if she isn't on it yet and also supplement daily with Johnson's 4joints extra strength dog liquid (100ml), which you can get online or in a pet shop. Glucosamine is classed as a food supplement and not as a medication so your vet won't have it in stock or prescribe it. The combination can make a real difference. The liquid is much easier to dose and syringe.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Johnsons-Vet-Joints-Mobility-Liquid/dp/B003BOFZW0

My tiny old lady Begw was getting pretty wobbly with several topples towards the end of last year but hasn't had a single fall this year and is getting around much better again. She is not my only arthritic oldie at the moment.
That’s brilliant, thank you so much. I’d been wondering if it was time for Metacam and now I know what to check with the vet and ask about. Yep, her sister was a wee bit wobbly with scratches towards the end and I can see how Poppy’s favourite corner gives her a bit more stability.

Thought I’d share where we got to. Our vet thinks Poppy is amazing for her age and so it wasn’t a spinal or joint thing this time.

She has just been treated for an eye infection and it was maybe getting her down. She’s back to running occasionally and generally has more confidence.

Thanks so much for all your guidance. This forum is just brilliant.

Back