Squirmy

• Thread starter Thread starter MesmerizeK
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MesmerizeK

Now that I have had a chance to let all the girls settle in a bit more, I've decided to start handling them regularly on a daily basis to get tame them and get them accustomed to being pet and picked up. One of them is really good about it and will stay still but the other two kick and scratch and squirm. On top of that, I have a fear of hurting them, so I usually end up giving up and letting them go. I think by doing that, I'm actually teaching them that if they squirm, they can be left alone.

Someone told me that they will settle down and won't squirm as much when they get older (they are all about 4-5 months old right now). However, I'd like to learn what the safest way to hold them is at this point.

- Do you hold your piggies so their four paws are against your body with them looking up at you?
- Or do you prop them along your arm?
- What do you do when they get really squirmy (even right when you pick them up, so it doesn't have anything to do with them wanting to go potty)?
- Are they known to bite after they've been picked up and you don't let them go when they're squirming around?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you ;)

Okay IMO - and this is just my opinion so please no-one shout at me ::)

1. Guineas arent like dogs, they arent too clever so I dont think they can be 'taught' they just get used to you over time.

2. When I get them out of the cage, if you have a choice, dont come in the cage from above as that is what a preditor would do, come on from the side....once you have them picked up, i hold them against my chest and support their bum and back so they feel supported and safe. Then I sit down and put them on my lap, if they are very shy they burrow into my arm, and i just let them, but stroke and talk to them ( 98) ;D ) gently.

3. Guineas arent vicious animals, I find, some are nippy and some arent- and this is a gentle nip, not a bite!

Some will nip if you are holding them uncomfortably, if you have taken them away from food and they are hungry, and 2 of my girls will gently nip if she needs to go back in the cage for a wee ::) ;D But dont be scared as it doesnt help and they are naturally nervous, so if you arent confident when handeling them, they will be even more so.

If they squirm around id say its because they dont feel safe and supported.

There are lots of things you can do to get your guineas used to you...sit next to their cage, take them out and give them their fav treat to make it an enjoyable experience! :D They will def get more and more hand tame each time you handle them!

It just takes time really.

Do it often and never if you are feeling angry or stressed yourself as this will transfer to the pig. Lots of stroking and kissing and talking, Guineas love to listen and to be part of what is going on. Mine are all very good. If they want the lav they wriggle. As soon as they go down they go to the lav. We haven't had an accident for months. Above all just enjoy playing and cuddling your little ones.

One of my sows was very wriggly & would try to nip every time she was held , now a few months later she's fine & often is easier to pick up than her sister . It just takes some longer than others I think. Good luck I'm sure you'll get there.

My two girls were the same for a while, very wriggly and scared if I needed to pick them up so I decided that for when they come out for floortime they get "airlifted" out in their rody igloo(well supported obviously as they have detachable bottoms) which they love as they now play a game where they dive in and out of them when they know it is time to come out ;D So they only get physically picked up for cuddles, which of course they now know is ok too even though they aren't too keen on the being picked up bit.

I know how you feel, it took a long time for trust to build up between me and mine. Just be gentle and calm and lots of treats and cuddles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back