Spring fever and trouble teens?

Ixaac

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi I needs some help and advice. My piggies boars both about 2 years old and spring time has hit them both and so hormones are flying they've both gotten more grumpy at each other and it's just constant rumbling and chattering, I've not seen them fight or bite at each other but I did notice a scratch on both their noses so I separated them for the night and half a day to make sure both were healed before putting them back together but other than that there's been no blood or fighting. I guess I'm just worried it could esculate. Neither seem to back down or submit so I'm keeping a close eye on them. Have you had trouble with your piggies during spring ? What should I do I don't want to separate if there's been no blood or fighting but I also don't want to wait to see if it gets to that stage (Their cage is more than big enough and there's 2 of everything) am I just worrying over spring hormones?

Sorry for being all over the place any help is welcome

Separating them could cause more issues, if there is no blood and fur flying then I would keep them together, boars and hormonal changes happens, I’ve two sets of them, I get rumbling and chasing but nothing else, I’ve also got two sets of girls and they rumble to but no fights, good luck 🤞

You can give them a temporary time out to let things settle if things get too much but as long as they aren’t actually fighting, then it is best to leave them to it.

It’s good they have a big cage (180x60cm is recommended) and two of everything as that will help. Also ensure all hides have two exits.

I have a four year old boar pair. In previous years (it hasn’t happened this year…yet) my dominant boy has become a bit of a handful. I did give them a temporary time out last year for a day when things got a bit heated and he was mounting relentlessly. They were then reintroduced and although the hormonal behaviour did continue it didn’t cause any issues between them.

Yeah I really don't want to separate. Good old spring hormones making them more grumpy than usual

You can give them a temporary time out to let things settle if things get too much but as long as they aren’t actually fighting, then it is best to leave them to it.

It’s good they have a big cage (180x60cm is recommended) and two of everything as that will help. Also ensure all hides have two exits.

I have a four year old boar pair. In previous years (it hasn’t happened this year…yet) my dominant boy has become a bit of a handful. I did give them a temporary time out last year for a day when things got a bit heated and he was mounting relentlessly. They were then reintroduced and although the hormonal behaviour did continue it didn’t cause any issues between them.

A two day separation with a divider in the cage usually allows time for any hormone spike to die down and the smell of testosterone to be washed out by piggy cleaning, followed by a re-intro on neutral ground. Most adult pairs will go back as if nothing has happened.
Here are out detailed tips on working out whether bond has been broken or not: Bonds In Trouble

Sudden hormone spikes can still happen into adulthood but they tend to be more common in Spring when in their wild ancestor species our domestic guinea pigs have been bred out from 3000-6000 years ago the breeding season will start. Although domestic guinea pigs no long have a distinct breeding season anymore and can have babies at anytime in the year, the old instincts are not completely gone even though they are much muted.

Hi I needs some help and advice. My piggies boars both about 2 years old and spring time has hit them both and so hormones are flying they've both gotten more grumpy at each other and it's just constant rumbling and chattering, I've not seen them fight or bite at each other but I did notice a scratch on both their noses so I separated them for the night and half a day to make sure both were healed before putting them back together but other than that there's been no blood or fighting. I guess I'm just worried it could esculate. Neither seem to back down or submit so I'm keeping a close eye on them. Have you had trouble with your piggies during spring ? What should I do I don't want to separate if there's been no blood or fighting but I also don't want to wait to see if it gets to that stage (Their cage is more than big enough and there's 2 of everything) am I just worrying over spring hormones?

Sorry for being all over the place any help is welcome
After noticing new cuts and pulled hair from them I've decided to separate them and put a divider in the cage there was just no break from the humping and chattering and they wouldn't let each other be at all and I noticed neither had eaten or drunk much at all and they both seemed so stressed it's definitely not what I wanted but if they both seem calmer with this divide I'll have to keep them apart. Thank you for all the advice

Back