Spraying…

Guineapoops2022

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello guys I have 4 female Guineas between 12-18 weeks I noticed one of my girls stick her bottom up this morning and spray what looked like pee on my other guinea I think she was worried her pellet would be taken off her is this normal… do Guineas spray a lot? Or is it a defence thing? Many thanks x

Hello guys I have 4 female Guineas between 12-18 weeks I noticed one of my girls stick her bottom up this morning and spray what looked like pee on my other guinea I think she was worried her pellet would be taken off her is this normal… do Guineas spray a lot? Or is it a defence thing? Many thanks x

Hi

Boys spray pee to mark sows as theirs while sows target pee to quite literally tell the other party to p*ss off.
Target peeing can be both used in order to fend off an over-eager boar as well as another sow.

In a dominance context is more used by be under-sow to signal that she is fed up with being dominated on and has reached her limit.

It's hilarious when the get a bullseye in the other ones face.

Oh yes!

You can always spot an experienced 'husboar' by the cautious way he sneaks up to the back end of one of his wives, ready to jump back at the least sign of her lifting her bum for some target practice! :D

Stella sprayed Clover the other day when Clover tried to steal some lettuce! It was a direct hit. Clover was surprised and disgusted, as Chestnut (RB) never did that to her :doh: 🤣

Again, I find this group so helpful. I've been working from home to take care of my mother who just had brain surgery and am lucky enough to sit in front of one of crates of guinea pigs. This morning I just saw, for the first time, Dora pee spraying one of the other females in the crate (still unnamed). Surprised the heck out of me, I had not seen that before! Who knew!

Back