Spot cleaning?

Honey and Blossom

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi, so I've heard many people use the term 'Spot cleaning' and I wondered what it was and how to do it? I have a cage with hay in it so can I still do it?
Thanks

Spot cleaning should be done daily, and involves removing any soiled bedding out of the cage and sweeping out the poops. Even with hay bedding you should be taking out any wet hay and replacing it with fresh stuff.

Mine are bedded on hay. I pick up loose poops on top of the hay, remove wet hay and any of the very wet substrate (currently using megazorb which I am finding is brilliant and much more absorbent than shavings so I’m removing less megazorb each time than I was having to with the shavings) and then redistribute the megazorb or throw another handful in if needed. I then fluff up the remaining hay, collect any other visible poops which emerge from shaking the hay and then throw fresh hay on top.

Hi, so I've heard many people use the term 'Spot cleaning' and I wondered what it was and how to do it? I have a cage with hay in it so can I still do it?
Thanks
Hey it basically means removing any pops/soiled bedding, hay and replacing with new. As I has puppy pads and fleece liners spot cleansing is much easier but I tend to change the blankets on top of the fleece lines twice a week but do a big clean out weekly. In terms of spot cleaning I do it twice a day (morning/evening) when I’m working but if I’m at home and have the extra time sometimes three depending on how bad it is. I tend to just use a dust pan and brush

Back