Splitting up my piggies

PawPatrol

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hey all,

I wrote a post a while back about my piggies fighting although it was mostly excessive shows of dominance then - no biting, no teeth chattering etc.

For the last 3 days I’ve had to separate them into different cages (one is in a 5x2 c&c and the other in a large cage from the local pet shop which be bought last minute) due to constant teeth chattering, one blocking in the other and preventing him from getting rest or access to food/water and also nosing up to each other and lunging.

I’ve split them up before they start to bite and have tried unsuccessfully to rebond them in a neutral area.

I think my only option now is to split permanently but still have them close.

I have room for a 2x6 cage in my hallway (currently in my living room) so I plan to buy some extra grids and adjust my current cage so it’s 2x6 with a divide down the middle. That way they’re separate but can see each other and meet at the divide etc.

Firstly - is 2x3 each an adequate space each and will they be okay being separate but close?

Everything I’ve looked up seems to suggest being separated but close means they’ll be okay but I’m just looking for some real life examples of having to do it.

They’re 1 year old and we took them from a friend who couldn’t cope with them anymore. I’m gutted they need to split but I don’t want any physical fighting and bites.

I'm sorry things haven’t worked out.

A 2x3 does meet minimum for a single piggy, so yes it’s ok.

Being side by side is absolutely fine. It allows for interaction and companionship without the need to share territory. I have a piggy living like this and he is perfectly happy (he lives beside a pair). There are others on the forum who also have side by side piggies.

I'm sorry things haven’t worked out.

A 2x3 does meet minimum for a single piggy, so yes it’s ok.

Being side by side is absolutely fine. It allows for interaction and companionship without the need to share territory. I have a piggy living like this and he is perfectly happy (he lives beside a pair). There are others on the forum who also have side by side piggies.
Thanks much.

I’ve ordered a pack of grids, when they arrive I’ll have an extra 10 total so I might try to make a 2x4 space each if I can squeeze it in.

It’s such a shame. I’ll rearrange the cages so they can still see each other in the meantime while I’m waiting on the extras to arrive. I don’t want to make things any worse but have them apart for now 😣

Hi

I am very sorry. A fallen-out couple is always gutting.

Brace for some major territorial behaviour when they meet face to face through the grids again.
See the relevant entry in this link so you know what to brace for, including plenty of grid rattling and biting at first. A - Z of Guinea Pig Behaviours

Best cable-tie the divider or leave one end lose and use clamps to hold the cable-tied divider close. This means that you can push the cable tied divider against the back wall during cage clean and can clean both cages in one go. I am using that for my 7 grids table cage which is ideal for any single bereaved piggies with bonding issues as a living alongside set up.

I know how you feel, my boys were recently separated. It's actually my dominant boar who seems happier with the new living arrangements.

Back