Splitting up a group?

mstarpiggie

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello everyone! This summer I am moving away from home and will have considerably less space than I do now (my pigs have a whole room to themselves right now!). I have a herd of 4 with a very large cage...I think it's between 16-18 square feet. I don't want to rehome any of my pigs so I was thinking I will need to split up the herd into 2 groups of two and just stack 2x4 cages to save the floor space. Has anyone split up their herds before? I am just wondering if anyone has any tips or advice to help reduce stress! Thank you

Perhaps another option might be to do an L-shape or U-shape rather than a big square?
Or a 'shared space' for piggies and you?
My 3 have 2 cages to hide in but they go between as they like. I have to get into the fleeced area as part of my kitchen worktop is at the far side and that's actually my back door on the right of the pic! It's not for everyone but it suits us... and it's always entertaining when I'm watering the plants on the only sunny windowsill there, and they come and stand on my socks to attract attention for treats!
line up.jpg
PS: I know one person who in lockdown solved her problem of having to find a home-office in the piggy room by making the enclosure long and thin so it ran under her computer desk!

Back