• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Spice's skin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
About 8 months ago i noticed Spice and Honey had started to itch alot more and hair would fal out - not really badly just a little bit.
I put it down to a fungal infection and go some manuka & neem shampoo and the creamy wash stuff from GG.
They had about 4 washes of this throughout the summer and they had their last one in Spetember. I stopped using woodshaving ages ago and use hay, newspaper and carpet in the lounge bit of there hutch.
Just been to see them and Spice has flaky skin again.
I don't really want to bath them because they will have to go outside again. And mum moan about the price of vets and shampoos.

So what can i do? Is it the cold weather? :-\

By the way it's only Spice that has it again she's a dolly mix of aby and peru

Hmmm I don't have any suggestions but maybe you could email gorgeous guineas and ask if they can think of anything? They're very good with piggy skin/hair problems O0

Yes,email Chrissie for advise.

It might be mites rather than fungal,in which case an Ivermectin course will be needed.

If your piggies are kept outside,make sure the housing is not damp because this would encourage fungal conditions.

The stress of being cold could also cause mites to increase and cause irritation.

Hi

Have you had them to the vets.

They can be treated with ivermectin if it is a type of mite.

We use hay and shredded paper, but my guinea pigs live inside.

I would take them to a vet though to have a dianogsis.

Jaye

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back