• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Spice"s weight

• Thread starter Thread starter mum
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mum

I am still syringe feeding Spice but he isn"t putting any weight on......or losing any either.He is about 650g and he"s getting 30ml of critical care a day as well as eating by himself.Is I stop syringe feeding him,his weight drops.Do I need to give him more or will his weight pick up slowly?
I"m going back to the rodentologist or Vedra to get him checked out again,but I"ve got a flu like bug at the moment so need to feel better first.

You're doing an excellent job O0 :smitten:
Have you tried feeding Spice 4 times a day, about 20ml each feed of CC ? Even if you fed the CC and then inbetween times gave mushed up pellets as well. It's really hard to get them to gain weight, i know that from experience. Keep on going you're doing really well, you just need to keep it up a bit longer, get him checked out again, but continue with the extra syringe feeds as well.
awwww give him a manly piggie kiss from Duke to encourage him and gentle kisses on his cute little ears from me :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Thanks Glynis for the advice.I will up his amount per feed.I was abit concerned that I could give him too much as I know they can"t be sick.He keeps turning his head away after 9/10 so I stop.Do I just keep trying?I feed him over 4 sittings,so should I add a few extra feeds in?

I try not to force too much in, but as you know your Spice the best you'll know if you can perhaps nudge a couple more syringes in.
There's times with Duke i just say to him, no way mate you're having a couple more syringe fulls... he seems to realise that he needs it and takes it.
Keep up the great work love and keep on trying. It takes a long time to gain weight, but oh boy they can loose it soooo quickly :(
It's totally the opposite for us eh ;D ;D ;D ;D
Good luck with little Spice O0
Come on Spice eat up little fella :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

We are having problems with this as well, Pepe has been on antibiotics and lost his appetite as a result. He's lost around 30g in the last 5 days or so :( so I can sympathise with your battle! As Glynis says, you will know when to stop syringe feeding him, Pepe willingly takes a few ml, then starts to protest which is when we may be able to nudge a few more in, but you will know when he REALLY wants you to stop, he will wriggle and squirm and keep turning his head away like a child refusing to eat ::)

Good luck, let us know how you get on :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back