• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Spice"s abscess-please help

• Thread starter Thread starter mum
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mum

Took Spice back to the vet today as he had some swelling around his wound.Its the abscess coming up again!The vet can"t re-open it....I did ask.Baytrill isn"t touching it ,so he said the only option was to inject him with a powerful antibiotic and hope that it works.I let him do it because he said that the abscess is just going to keep coming.Is there anything else I can do?I"ve got probiotics to give him.He is eating but now weighs only 700g.How much more can my poor baby cope with.Am I being unfair on him?Should I let him go?I just want whats best for him.Please help me.

Could you get a 2nd opinion from another vets? I wouldn't settle for one opinion only

Yes,find a vet who knows more about piggies.An abcess can reform,but it can be relanced.I once had a piggy with 3 abcesses come up in the same place,one after the other.They were lanced and back flushed,and after the third she never had another one.She lost weight,but once the final abcess was cleared she regained it all.

Antibiotics are not always affective against the bacteria that causes abcess.

How can you lance over a wound?The vet thought it would open it all up.How do I find a good vet.This one was recommended for rodents so I thought he would be ok.

I'm about to go to bed so thought I'd jot this down! not sure where the abscess is so hope you get a few ideas from this...!
If the abscess has come back it is best that the abscess stays open until everything has come out of it that needs to come out. An abscess needs to heal from the bottom up. It also needs to be flushed out about 2x per day. What I would do is as follows:
Give a little pain relief (0.2ml) of Calpol
While this is settling in I would use a warm/wet compress on the abscess site (like you would on a spot before you squeeze!)
After a couple of mins gently work around the abscess squeezing out any puss - but do squeeze from the very base of the core & work the gunk out - re apply a warm/wet compress and repeat.
When nothing else is coming out dilute some hibi scrub in warm water (previously boiled) just a couple of drops per half cup is ok. Then suck some up in a syringe and squirt it right into the abscess.
Put a little vaseline around the abscess site to prevent it from scabbing over so you can keep cleaning it out. The abscess 'should' start to heal bottom up.

Today lots of gunk is coming out from the wound in one place.....hopefully its burst.Theres no thick stuff just fluid .I"m bathing it gently and then giving it a sqeeze but poor Spice is so stressed that he"s not being a good patient.I daren"t over sqeeze as I"m worried that I will open the wound up.He is eating and drinking and I"m keeping an eye on him.We"re back at the vets on tuesday for another check up....if not before.

Pack the hole with Manuka Honey,this will help clear out the infection and hasten the healing process.Use a high potency honey at least umf 10. This is available in health food shops and some chemists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back