Speedy bereaved

Esstina2

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Our Speedy 7 .5 years old has lost her 2 year old friend on Friday to bloat. I took her straight to vets as soon as she refused her breakfast but she passed in my arms as we arrived there. It was so quick, I'm devastated. Anyway Speedy doesn't seem overly upset so I'm wondering if it's best to leave her alone as she is old and has medically managed arthritis so is not in great shape. I worry one or two new piggies may stress her out , what are your thoughts please ? Thank you

Our Speedy 7 .5 years old has lost her 2 year old friend on Friday to bloat. I took her straight to vets as soon as she refused her breakfast but she passed in my arms as we arrived there. It was so quick, I'm devastated. Anyway Speedy doesn't seem overly upset so I'm wondering if it's best to leave her alone as she is old and has medically managed arthritis so is not in great shape. I worry one or two new piggies may stress her out , what are your thoughts please ? Thank you

BIG HUGS

I am so very sorry for you sudden loss. When piggies get to a grand old age like Speedy and her mate, unfortunately when the end finally comes it often happens very suddenly and quickly in my own experience; in roughly half the cases I have to emergency pts/euthanize. Which way it goes and when it happens you can never choose or predict because it ultimately depends on whether an organ gives (in your case most likely either the heart or the gut itself) or whether it is the immune system that is breached; but in the real oldies it is often like a house of cards falling down because of the general frailness.
I just try to treasure evey day over 5 years in my normal adoptees and over 4 years in my adoptees with a potentially compromised background and to feel blessed every morning they are here to greet me.

What you want to do depends on whether you want to continue with guinea pigs or not.
If yes, then you may want to consider adopting a next door pair for companionship and stimulation through the bars but give your remaining old lady the freedom to choose whether she wants to join in or not; many old ladies won't necessarily but you can never predict that.
I've currently got a determined 6 years old single widow again (with a pair of younger siblings next to her as the ones she is getting on best with - just not in her own space) but I have also had piggies your age who have happliy accepted a young baby sow or two into their group and lived for another year thanks to the renewed zest for life or who bonded with another older sow (although that took some time unless they knew each other from previous times). Some of mine have accepted a neutered boar; others not...

There is no surefire way; whatever you do make sure that you have a plan B (next door companionship).

You may find these links here helpful in exploring different aspects and working out which way forward may be best for you. A lot depends on your personal situation, longer term plans and local availabilities. I have included helpful advice for keeping singles as well if you do not want to continue with piggies.

Death, Dying, Terminal Illness; Human Grieving and Bereaved Companions: Information and Support for Owners and Their Children
Caring for Older Piggies and Facing the End - A practical and supportive information collection

Single Guinea Pigs - Challenges and Responsibilities
Moody Guinea Pigs: Depression, Bullying, Aggression, Stress, Fear and Antisocial Behaviour

Rescues (Adoption and Dating), Shops, Breeders or Online? - What to consider when getting guinea pigs
Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

So sorry for your loss, hope Speedy keeps well and doesn’t go down hill due to bereavement :hug:

So sorry for your loss, hope Speedy keeps well and doesn’t go down hill due to bereavement :hug:
I'm keeping a very close eye on her, she's an indoor piggy so that's easy for me. So far she is doing well, still squeaking for her veges and still enjoying her cuddles but if I notice any change I will get her a friend. Xx

BIG HUGS

I am so very sorry for you sudden loss. When piggies get to a grand old age like Speedy and her mate, unfortunately when the end finally comes it often happens very suddenly and quickly in my own experience; in roughly half the cases I have to emergency pts/euthanize. Which way it goes and when it happens you can never choose or predict because it ultimately depends on whether an organ gives (in your case most likely either the heart or the gut itself) or whether it is the immune system that is breached; but in the real oldies it is often like a house of cards falling down because of the general frailness.
I just try to treasure evey day over 5 years in my normal adoptees and over 4 years in my adoptees with a potentially compromised background and to feel blessed every morning they are here to greet me.

What you want to do depends on whether you want to continue with guinea pigs or not.
If yes, then you may want to consider adopting a next door pair for companionship and stimulation through the bars but give your remaining old lady the freedom to choose whether she wants to join in or not; many old ladies won't necessarily but you can never predict that.
I've currently got a determined 6 years old single widow again (with a pair of younger siblings next to her as the ones she is getting on best with - just not in her own space) but I have also had piggies your age who have happliy accepted a young baby sow or two into their group and lived for another year thanks to the renewed zest for life or who bonded with another older sow (although that took some time unless they knew each other from previous times). Some of mine have accepted a neutered boar; others not...

There is no surefire way; whatever you do make sure that you have a plan B (next door companionship).

You may find these links here helpful in exploring different aspects and working out which way forward may be best for you. A lot depends on your personal situation, longer term plans and local availabilities. I have included helpful advice for keeping singles as well if you do not want to continue with piggies.

Death, Dying, Terminal Illness; Human Grieving and Bereaved Companions: Information and Support for Owners and Their Children
Caring for Older Piggies and Facing the End - A practical and supportive information collection

Single Guinea Pigs - Challenges and Responsibilities
Moody Guinea Pigs: Depression, Bullying, Aggression, Stress, Fear and Antisocial Behaviour

Rescues (Adoption and Dating), Shops, Breeders or Online? - What to consider when getting guinea pigs
Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
Thank you , I have read all the advice notes. We probably will continue to have piggies, though how quickly depends really on how Speedy is the next couple of days. We've decided to get 2 baby sows , Speedy can live alongside them if that's what she chooses to do , at least that way she still has interaction with her own kind x

Thank you , I have read all the advice notes. We probably will continue to have piggies, though how quickly depends really on how Speedy is the next couple of days. We've decided to get 2 baby sows , Speedy can live alongside them if that's what she chooses to do , at least that way she still has interaction with her own kind x

You can try to bond - if it goes well, then feel blessed. If not, then you have the next door option. You can give it 1-4 weeks; time though.

Back