Spaying And Neutering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starrytwinkle

New Born Pup
Reaction score
hello!
I'm planning on getting two female baby guinea pigs. Should i get them as babies? And do i have to spay and neuter them? What will happen if i dont? Thanks!

hello!
I'm planning on getting two female baby guinea pigs. Should i get them as babies? And do i have to spay and neuter them? What will happen if i dont? Thanks!

Are you getting from a rescue? If not please make sure they are sexed properly as they are often missexed.

Females don't need to be spayed, it's a very invasive procedure and should only be done for medical reasons and with a very good vet :)

hello!

Hi and welcome

Spaying is not necessary since it is quite an invasive and expensive operation that comes with its own risks. Most sows are spayed for medical reasons (non-hormonal ovarian cysts or womb problems), especially as there are now alternative hormone treatments available. The majority of sows doesn't require any medical intervention and there is no direct cancer link, unlike with rabbits where neutering for both genders is very strongly recommended.
What you have to be aware of is the fact that sows can get pregnant from 4-6 onwards (boar get going from 3-5 weeks old; i.e. basically as soon as they are weaned) and that there is no menopause for either gender, so if you'd like to have a mixed pair or group one of them needs to be neutered. You also have to be aware that you will in any case have to wait until a sow is about 6 months old before a vet will consider a spaying operation and you need to find a good vet to minimise the risk or complications or even death.

The safest place to get any guinea pigs from that are quarantined and healthy, guaranteed correctly sexed and not pregnant is one of our recommended good standard rescues. They will also rehome only pairs that are stably bonded and that are used to human interaction, especially when rehoming to new owners.
By adopting from them you can neatly avoid the pitfalls that await the unwary when buying babies from a pet shop or a for-sale breeder. It is well worth for total peace of mind going the extra mile, epsecially as you'll always have the rescue to turn to if there is a problem with your piggies getting on or losing one of them.
Guinea Pig Rescue Centre Locator
Guinea Lynx :: Rescue Organizations

PS: By rehoming from a good rescue, you can also consider stably bonded boars as a real option; boars are often more laid-back than sows, especially once they are past the teenage hormones.
Please be aware that babies are babies only for a matter of weeks but adults for years. Shop or commercial breeder piggies have virtually not had any human interaction, so while they may have the cute factor, they are NOT instant animated cuddly toys; they are first and foremost prey animals that have to slowly learn how to become pets that often only tolerate cuddles. If you want a guinea pig that is used to cuddling, then looking for suitable adult rescue piggies is a much better option.

You may find these information guides here helpful in weighing up your option. It is good that you are doing your research beforehand!
Boars, sows or mixed pairs; babies or adults?
Children And Guinea Pigs - A Guide For Parents
Guinea Pig Facts - A Short Overview

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back